Buried Treasure?

Spin

I really have my doubts about these aircraft, no matter what their condition is (no doubt of course, they were "protected by oiled wrapping" as the usual stories go) ... have a read through this: no mention anywhere of Spifires. Or shipments of fighter reinforcements, for that matter.:rolleyes:

http://www.britain-at-war.org.uk/ww2/London_Gazette/Air_Ops_Burma_Jan_to_May_1942/index.htm

Still, I'd like to be proven wrong. If that's the case, let's hope the market value of Spitfires isn't too badly affected by such a sudden increase in numbers!

Hey, I've just picked up that this article refers to 1945 - weren't the Japanese on the run by then?

I would have expected frantic burying of grease-protected Spitfires (or anything) to have occurred in 1942.

Please clarify for me.:confused:

I have to agree siznaudin, there are a couple of things to be explained - my first thought when I read the story was to check the date on the byline, fully expecting to see April 1. That said, I remember attending a couple of military auctions in South Africa in the early 90's when all manner of goodies hit the market, some of it stockpiled since WW11. It was quite noticeable how much of the older stuff eg spares for Bedford trucks and Jeeps was in pretty much as new condition, compared to much more recent spares for Mercedes and Deutz vehicles - thanks to the packaging I can only assume. I know too that throughout the 80's they were still replacing (20mm?) Oerlikon barrels on the Navy strikecraft with stock acquired during WW11 - oiled paper wrapping and grease having preserved them.

Hey, I've just picked up that this article refers to 1945 - weren't the Japanese on the run by then?I would have expected frantic burying of grease-protected Spitfires (or anything) to have occurred in 1942.

Please clarify for me.:confused:

Got me thinking, there, Geoff, I'm not well versed in the Burma history, but I always thought they were in a better position there than in the Pacific region. Maybe with better supply lines, they might have decided to make a late push & drive a wedge between our forces. I'll have to do a bit of reading.

I remember when I was in Burma 30 years ago, there was heaps of Marsden Matting being used as fences, mainly in the regions surrounding Rangoon. Wasn't much other WW2 stuff visible, but I'm sure there would be a lot there still. They don't throw anything out, when I was there, you could go down to the markets & whatever you bought was wrapped up in Bitish pay sheets & other documents from the days of the Raj. I've stll got them somewhere.

We should get this bloke out to Oakey with a metal detector.

Cheers, Willie.

I doubt the PM would have stepped in about this without seeing some pretty convincing images from the ground penetrating radar and having them independently verified.

I think it is plausible. More so than the "spitfires in mine shafts" somewhere in Australia...

What are the "transport crates" made from? If they had rotted or corroded and collapsed they would be flat spitfires that might still look ok on GPR. I guess time will tell if "35 left flying oin the world" becomes 55.

I doubt the PM would have stepped in about this without seeing some pretty convincing images from the ground penetrating radar and having them independently verified.I think it is plausible. More so than the "spitfires in mine shafts" somewhere in Australia...

I'm sure Mr Cameron's information/evidence is no less valid than that which had Mr Blair confident enough to go chase W.M.D's in Iraq...:rolleyes:

• Like 1