Home Made Helicopter

willedoo

I hope this one never got off the ground.

[ATTACH=full]1203[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1204[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1205[/ATTACH]

Cheers, Willie.

418646717_small_chinesehomemadehelicopter02.jpg.a1932b2a770f3e0c9747a03cf054fc70.jpg

1291371108_small_chinesehomemadehelicopter03.jpg.73981013b7358c122d7d9ec093134bb1.jpg

Guest avi8tr

Take the fancy fairings and fibreglass off an R22 and it would similar to that underneath...

More than once while being choppered around the Cooper Basin, I was informed by the person on the rhs that "fling wings" had the safest record for single engine a/c.

I am yet to be convinced...:rolleyes:

You were right to be skeptical....

Fixed-wing aircraft accounted for 90.2 per cent of private operations flying hours,

but only 87.0 per cent of private accidents. Rotary-wing aircraft, on the other hand,

accounted for 9.8 per cent of private operations flying hours, but 13.0 per cent of

accidents. Hence, rotary-wing aircraft were involved in proportionally more

accidents than fixed-wing aircraft.

ATSB report 2007. Note this was considering private operations only.

Then there's this:

Comparing rotarywing

and fixed-wing aircraft, rotary-wing aircraft in air transport have an accident rate

that is about two times that of fixed wing. Comparing rotary-wing and fixed-wing aircraft

in general aviation, rotary-wing aircraft have an accident rate and fatality rate per million

hours that is about 1.4 times higher than fixed wing aircraft. In terms of fatal accidents per

million hours flown, rotary-wing air transport has a fatality rate that is about five times

higher than fixed-wing air transport aircraft.

ATSB report, 2010. See the whole report here:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1525905/ar2009016%283%29.pdf

I think that clinches it. BUt you have to take into account that rotary winged aircraft operate in more dangerous environments than fixed wing machines and often do tasks that fixed wing machines can't do.

• Like 1

Thanks, Coop ... interesting indeed, and while I take on board that last qualifier, I'm wondering now if I should be (retrospectively) putting in for danger money from my time in the choppers up there!;)

I'm wondering now if I should be (retrospectively) putting in for danger money from my time in the choppers up there!;)

Let me know how you go, siz. Just going by some of the fixed wing flights I've had up there over the years, I'd be happy if they just bought me a new pair of pants.