MW aeropower It.

geoffreywh

Just browsing the web and found an Italian flat four that is in production. A series of motors ranging from 90 to 130 to 150hp. 2.2 ltr to2.5 ltr. The 150 horse supposed to be 85kg fitted. Construction will appeal to the motorcyclists with a push-together crank, one piece rods, roller mains and big ends.Watercooled and geared of course, low pressure oil , FADEC , fuel injection, all the lovely bits put together in one lump. I believe the bottom end TBO is 4000 hrs!...I always loved the roller crank from the Suzuki GSX series in the 70's and 80's (and, of course the Kawasaki 900-1000) They set the benchmark for bottom end reliability, bored up to 1400 turbo-ed , or running enormous compressions (14-1 was not unusual) . Just Lovely...Designed for aviation use , I just wonder when one of these "new" motors will be an inverted line 4 or 6 ? All this for 20 large...Have a look, nice piece of kit

• Like 1

More cubic inches.....More horses..... Constant speed prop....Cheaper....Watercooled heads and barrels....Roller bearing crank.....Cheaper...err ... can't think of anything else at the moment, but then I'm on my second G & T ...How's your motor coming along?.....( I know I said cheaper twice, but then I think it's important)

• Like 1

More horses?

Sure but with the amount of Italian cowpoo dished out over the years you would want to verify both the weights and hp yourself before diving in.

I don't know, I have just worked on too many Italian machines in my lifetime, bikes, cars and industrial machinery to have any confidence in them. Then there's the backup service, i.e. none, and the pricing of parts, expensive but only if you can get them ....

That being said, the core of most Italian engines are usually very well engineered, just the peripherals that let them down.

• Agree 1