GR582 Useful Load

seb7701

Hi all.

I have just been trawling a couple of the LW threads which mention various MTOW's of some LW models, including mention of the upgrade of some variants to increase the MTOW. (I am guessing the upgrade is not cheap OR easy....)

Can anyone tell me once and for all, does this upgrade option involve the GR582 (one of which I am interested in) and what IS the useful load of a GR582? Does it involve certain year models?

I have so far seen MTOW's of 400, 450, 544 mentioned, so am a little confused....

I am looking to see whether a GR582 will cart 185 odd kg of human beings plus , say an hour or two of fuel.

Cheers,

Seb

Hi all.I have just been trawling a couple of the LW threads which mention various MTOW's of some LW models, including mention of the upgrade of some variants to increase the MTOW. (I am guessing the upgrade is not cheap OR easy....)

Can anyone tell me once and for all, does this upgrade option involve the GR582 (one of which I am interested in) and what IS the useful load of a GR582? Does it involve certain year models?

I have so far seen MTOW's of 400, 450, 544 mentioned, so am a little confused....

I am looking to see whether a GR582 will cart 185 odd kg of human beings plus , say an hour or two of fuel.

Cheers,

Seb

Hello Seb

Well I can tell u a lightwing gr 582 will easily carry most loads with no problem ..

I have owned two lightwings 250229 & 250032 I had 229 for 11 years with it being registered at 544 kg for years and could easily cart around two large people eg me 105 kg & wife 67 kg and enothe fuel to stay aloft for 5 hours if u like but I only ever stay up for a max of 3-4 hours as I needed too take a leak .....

As for oo32 she will easily do the same but now the rules have changed and she has to comply with the 400 kg mtow Because she is lw- oo1 model .

Yes I belive I could do the upgrades witch in vole a brace in the wings and an upgrade of the front cross brace above ya head to bring her to a mtow of 450 kg but I won't be going down that path I carry 98 litres of fuel for those long trip on my own with camping gear and when flying two up I only use the standard tanks 66 litres

Hope that help you Seb.

• Informative 1

Seriously??? Now THAT is a lightweight!!!

I saw a previous post with pages from your manual which states 207 or similar for empty. But am figuring the GR582 is a little fatter. LW is getting back to me, but indicated either 250 or 280kg. Does that sound right?

No dramas Doug- did get a text back from Howie's son. Empty weight of 250 and mtow of 450, so looks pretty good.

Just pondering now whether to go for it.....

On another note - which prop is the go? Am looking at one with a three blade aerofibre. Seems to be 65kt @5600rpm. Surely can squeeze 70kt out somehow....