Building a J230

eckertwa

What are your concerns with full flying tails, Nev?rgmwa

Hi Rgm,. . .Ever had a total trim tab fail on a Piper Warrior 161 in flight with 4 POB ? nowt in the POH to cover that eventuality,. . . . it is still flyable, but operates rather like a wheelbarrowloadl of wet cement,. . . .

A FULL flying tail, also includes the vertical fin/stabiliser/rudder. . . .not many of those have I flown, other than the Whittaker MW4, which has a fully articulated tail section, based upon a Ford Transit propshaft universal joint, so that the entire tail section articulates from that joint rearward, ie, the horizontal stabiliser yaws also in rudder pedal command, and the fin follows pitch inputs,. . .THAT is a fully flying tail. . . . . . I think you are referring to a system where there is either no actual elevator, just an elevon, OR perhaps, that, AND a fully flying finivon . . . .( ! )

Phil

Phil, I was thinking of the stabilator because that's what the RV-12 has, but you're right of course. There are also full flying fin/rudder combinations. The Zenith 601/650 comes to mind. Haven't seen a full-flying tail as you describe it, but it doesn't sound good.

rgmwa

ce with other than the

Phil, I was thinking of the stabilator because that's what the RV-12 has, but you're right of course. There are also full flying fin/rudder combinations. The Zenith 601/650 comes to mind. Haven't seen a full-flying tail as you describe it, but it doesn't sound good.rgmwa

It Isn't ! ! The MW4 tail articulation design horrified the PFA ( now LAA ) engineering dept., they allowed that ONE prototype aircraft to fly, but refused to authorise any more ! . . . The machine now resides in a museum. . . . dunno whether that's an insult to the engineering integrity of a Transit propshaft coupling . . .? I flew that a few times, as the MW aircraft Club is based at our site,. . . had a Rotax 377 and a plastic canteen chair for a pilot seat. . . . They might bring it out to play ar the MW Club annual fly in at the end of May,. . if so I'll get some pics.