Brumby 610 24-8554 is Completed

poteroo

Thanks for the report. Interested in your take off weight. From what you have said I should have no trouble getting in and out of my grass strips.

If you are ever fully loaded I would be interested in your findings re short field / normal take off on a grass strip.

Cheers RJ

Looks very nice in the white paint. We have a Blue one at YWOL and personally I prefer the white seems to make the aircraft look more like it isn't a brick. Interested to know what you were able to cruise on your way home?

Thanks for the report. Interested in your take off weight. From what you have said I should have no trouble getting in and out of my grass strips.If you are ever fully loaded I would be interested in your findings re short field / normal take off on a grass strip.

Cheers RJ

With my limited experience of this Brumby, I'd be fairly confident of working off 350-400m provided you were not coming in over a high treeline. The aircraft will climb at a good 600fpm at close to 600kgs, and it will really make a steeper climb with half flap. More numbers when we get better organised to take them.

I think the major 'limiting' factor with paddock strips might be the floatation of your u/c. My 5.00 tyres are great on most firm surfaces, but I have noticed a bit of 'cutting in' on a softer strip. 6.00's will probably reduce this effect and will certainly give you lower drag on rolling. But then you'll have a higher BEW. In your case, the 6.00's are probably going to improve your t/o distance, but maybe your climb won't be any better.

cheers,

The major limitation is probably in landing distance because you only have 30 deg full flap and to increase the r-o-d you need to slow down to 50 +/- KIAS and get it on the 'back' side of the curve. It's not possible to do the 40 deg 'Cessna' steep descent as your IAS increases with increased nose down. Again, we need more experience with the slower IAS x higher r-o-d technique and this aircraft.

Looks very nice in the white paint. We have a Blue one at YWOL and personally I prefer the white seems to make the aircraft look more like it isn't a brick. Interested to know what you were able to cruise on your way home?

Actually, our Brumby is a beige basic colour with a major proportion of 'Indian Ocean blue' on the tail and underside, plus a small maroon stripe. (see pic). I was looking for something different from the traditional 'white with a red and blue stripe' scheme. I think the painting quality has improved out-of-sight since that blue aircraft was done too - and that makes a huge difference.

Now 'cruising speed' is a variable number. It's a little bit akin to when I'm asked 'what speed does it fly at?' Answer - it all depends..................! 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif We have the propeller blades set @13 degrees, and on cruise at 2500 ft, and 20 oat, with 5000 rpm it's giving us around 98-102 KTAS. That's for a MTOW of around 550kg. For circuit work we're using 4800 rpm and that's giving around 90-93 KTAS - plenty fast enough for student activity! I know that the magic number of 110 kts cruise is bandied about - but, in my experience to date, this is only going to happen @ 5200 rpm or maybe even 5300 rpm. Your fuel consumption rises sharply from 20lph @ 5000 rpm.

For a cruising only tourer Brumby, it might be best to coarsen the pitch a little more, while we may yet fine ours back a degree or two so as to maximise climb rates for circuit training. As I said, above, it all depends.....

happy days,

IMHO, pilots can gain more by using the most wind-friendly altitudes, and becoming efficient in their circuit procedures than they can by flogging the Rotax as their initial approach.

282674746_Brumby24-8554incloseechelonrightwithC172PRZnrAlbanyAirportWA.JPG.50098c4a3c6e5445b9dc39892b0b9ccf.JPG

• Like 2

I have spent quite a few hours in the 600 Bru by. I really like the flying qualities and would say my cruise numbers in the 600 are similar to what you are quoting .