Trike pilots must watch

Very good, thanks for posting. I have had the rare experience to spin a trike, some may say impossible, but it was caused by an aircraft wake that came very close and I mean CLOSE, trike nose dropped severely and rotated to right spinning fast and descending at steep nose down, after about 1500 feet lost, the recovery was textbook as explained by my instructor as a "what if " situation, the ground approached quickly and it was close to the ground after recovery. After the experience I thought I wound never fly again but it has made me a better pilot, I have since done spin training in a GA plane, all of this happened around 18 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
Australian rego 32- flying in USA?

It's an Evolution trikes wing on an AirCreation trike, so I'm guessing it was an Australian wing traded on a later model and on sold to a U.S. customer. They don't require numbers on the wing over there so probably easier to leave them on than try to remove.

• 2 weeks later...
That is completely opposite from how I was taught? how many instructors teach/practice it this way?

That's scary. Are you saying you were taught to push the bar forward during a side-slip or stall?

In a spiral dive to ease the bar out and level the wings.

A spiral descent is under control so you would level the wings and fly normally. However, a spiral dive is uncontrolled where a wing has stalled and I would have thought that you would have to pull the bar in to reduce the angle of attack on the stalled wing to unstall it, and then level the wings.

You may need to check with your instructor for further clarification.

• Agree 1

Thanks Bill

Have a bit better understanding now but note there is some confusion with some of us trike pilots?I will be looking at it further also am due for biennial soon so will discuss with CFI.

Gary.

• Like 1