Seen the UL260i ?

wanabigaplane

Its not really a "new engine from europe" just a development of an existing design that the wannabe Masquito helicopter builders in belgium found was unsuitable for their needs.

http://home.comcast.net/~aeroengine/Masquito.html

That company reformed in 2006 as ULpower to make the version you see now.

I hope they got all the problem areas sorted, could be a very nice engine - there was one sitting in a hangar next to me dont think its been christened yet and theres one in hamilton which is rumoured to be going onto a Bantam. (some of which already use the 3300 in certain coutries)

Ralph

C'mon Jabiru - how about a 100 HP big bore kit for the 2200? ;)

regards

Don't think so! The block's integrity struggles to remain intact with only 85hp, let alone 100!

• 1 month later...

UL206i engine.

Yeah, good luck mjerick, and welcome to australia. I had corresponded with ULpower for a while and they wanted some camshaft timing data relating to some other engine I was working on. I requested some information from them, including an enquiry as to whether they were going to specify roller cam followers with their engine, and stroke/conrod length details, and I never got a reply so I haven't done anything since.

It appears to be a fairly conventional flat four engine mechanically, with digital management for ignition and fuel. I haven't been able to get a weight for the motor (as installed) Do you know what it is? Regards Nev...

The original Masquita helicopter engine was actually a hotted up, fuel injected, Jab 2200 motor running at about 3600 or 3800 RPM.

As mentioned above, they folded into ULpower and came up with the new engine.

I would think that the new engine's basics would be very heavily based on a Jab 2200 and what they learn't from the Jab engine.

Engine derivations.

Yes I read that ROM, but it doesnt LOOK as if it has too much of that ancestry. The distance between the cylinder centres on a Jab. 2200 don't appear to allow much room for stretching. Generally speaking, aero engines which are not overdesigned in the first place don't take kindly to being enlarged, except by lengthening, (adding more cylinders). They may have started off with a good look at a JAB. but for my money, if I had to bet, I would say this engine has been redesigned from scratch. You could check out deck heights, distance between cylinder centres, as an indication, initially out if curiosity, but if the engine hasn't been totally engineered it wouldn't be worth any consideration. A superficial resemblance exists, but you could also see the same resemblance to a Continental 0-200, in general layout, if you disregard the EMS. Be interested to see how it goes. The direct drive appeals to me . Cheers, Nev...