Sydney to Phillip Island (Melbourne)

Mazda

I'm flying town to the MotoGP (weather permitting) soon and would appreciate any local advice.

I'm planning to fly coastal Kiama - Ulladulla (Nowra lane) - Moruya - Merimbula - Mallacoota - Lakes Entrance - coastal route past East Sale (I'll be going through mid-week) and I'll probably stay coastal and track around to PI. I'm planning to land at Merimbula and Lakes Entrance.

If the weather is not suitable to land at PI, what alternates would you suggest? I was thinking of Tyabb, and if it looks as though I won't make it down I thought I could land at Yarram, or maybe even stay at Lakes Entrance if required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm now planning and thinking of things I'll need to take with me (tie downs, chocks, tow bar, oil, plexus, cloths etc).

My understanding is that you are OK to transit the VFR lanes when East Sale is active in any aircraft registered under CAO 95.55 ie RAA aircraft with either a 19 or a 25 prefix.

best of wishes

Davidh

Thanks very much! I should clarify that I'll actually be in a VH registered aircraft, but it does not have a transponder.

Tooradin could be possible but I note that it has the same runway direction as Phillip Island and it says something about limited operations and PPR. It doesn't show the runway length in ERSA. Then of course I have to find my way from there to PI!!

That would be typical for the weather to be foul. I'll see what it looks like. I can actually depart as early as the 10th if need be, and have two days to get back on the following Monday/Tuesday. Maybe it will take a week to get there and back! Maybe I'll be watching the race on a TV screen in a hotel at Merimbula, Lakes Entrance or Yarram!

Guest brentc

Mazda, don't be scared by the ERSA, come on in to Tooradin, you have my permission on behalf of the owner. If you need it, his number is in the ERSA, Gary 0419 363 877. Tooradin has 22/04, 1000m and 32, 500m and 29 at around 400 metres. You'd only need to land on the shorter ones in a strong northerly and length wouldn't be a problem in those sorts of winds. It's closer than Tyabb to Phillip Island and if you head south from Tooradin you can't miss it.

Permission for Phillip Island IS required and it's a $20 landing fee. It's operated by Phillip Island Helicopters www.phillipislandhelicopters.com which is a subsiduary of Tooradin Airfield.

No dramas with East Sale if you call ahead to the number in the ERSA.

Thanks very much Brent. It sounds like I should drop in, even if I do go on to Phillip Island!

Wow, they sure know how to reduce tourism at Phillip Island with a $20 "toll." Imagine if all the cars had to pay that to cross the bridge! I don't mind paying a fee, but being there for about a week it would be nice to do some local flights and those fees could add up.

Guest brentc

There's a couple of ways to look at that landing fee.

1. You're talking about some of the most expensive realestate in the country and someone needs to pay the rent.

2. It's a premium location, as you know, because you are using it for the MotoGP.

3. It almost closed and Gary took it on to keep aviation alive, probably at a loss because of the cost of the realestate and has managed to keep it open.

4. Your 'local' flights if passengers are included have the potential to take local joy-flight business away from the 2 x Robinson 44's that operate out of there.

So I guess there are two sides to every story. Regarding your local flights during the week, you can only ask. Perhaps if you happened to mention that you are flying out to get fuel from Tooradin and coming back for an early start the next morning you might get away with it ;)

I absolutely understand what you are talking about, but the latest charges I have from them are verging on greedy. They are charging $40 per engine per landing, plus $20 parking per night. That means one single landing plus parking is $140. That outside parking charge is considerably more than twice what I pay for secure hangarage in Sydney!

Secure bike (i.e. 2 seater) parking right at the GP track is cheaper than that, and you can come and go as you please.

Somehow I don't see how I'd be taking joy flights away from them. I'm in a two seater and flying down there solo, so the only joy flights I'll be doing will be for me. My OH is driving down and it would have been nice to go for a local flight, but he'll probably be too busy with work anyway. (And there is no way he'd do a joy flight in a Robbie - he doesn't like helicopters!)

The previous owner of the airport has done much to promote aviation and he continues to do so.

So the big question is what do I do now? Fly down there, do a local flight each day and pay the $300 in landing/parking? Fly down there, leave the aircraft tied down and spend 4 days watching racing and visiting the koala sanctuary? Fly out of somewhere like Tooradin and pay for taxis? Forget the whole flying adventure, go down in the car for free and keep the $300 for my next flying adventure? Or abandon my plans and fly somewhere else instead?

Thinking about it, if Sydney or Melbourne Airports charged the equivalent amount per POB, the landing charge for a 747 would be over $16,000. (Just based on $40 pp, without even considering the number of engines).

Guest Flyer40

Hey Maz I don't disagree with you, but when I last worked at SYD in 2000 a 747 operator was charged an airport fee of about $9,000. It's probably a lot more these days.

Guest brentc

Mazda - send me an email or pm with your details. Those prices don't appear to be the norm so I'll ask the owner for you. Sounds like premium GP rates are being enforced.

Thanks Brent. I queried the prices and was told by Steve that they are correct. He said he has to put on 6 extra staff and accommodation has gone from $100 per night to $500 per night.

That may be true, but surely the staff are for the joy flight business? I don't need an FBO service, just a place to land, so I can't see how my arrival (or the arrival of others) would require 6 additional staff. What I would like to know is if the operator is in effect getting private pilots to subsidise the joy flight staff! It is counter-productive. If the charges were at a more normal level, more pilots would fly in, and I don't think the extra pilots would need more staff.

What do you think?

Looks like it might blow a little.

Hey Mazda

I see that 35 knots & 14 C is predicted at PI Friday arvo.

So I guess that it will gust 50.

A typical October for at least 1 day at the MotoGP.

That is why it is a little expensive. They need high quality load rated cables and rope + lots of mass concrete for the tie-downs.

Regards Geoff

Actually Mazda, I believe that the helicopter staff work for free so that they get to log time in the R44's there so I don't think that's the case. I spoke to the owner and he said that he had to put down quite a number of loads of crushed rock on the runway for the GP event due to the increased traffic. It's a catch 22 because other than GP times, people barely fly in there and as such he has to do work specifically for the occasion. Luckily R44's don't need a runway! I think you'd be surprised how many aircraft will fly in on the day/s. Parking space is a premium and there's lots to organise - fuel, parking, transport etc. I doubt that more would fly in for the event if it was cheaper as I think you'll find that charter operators will pay almost anything to get in there for the event.