Rotax spark plugs

Vorticity

I just picked up a new set of BR8ES's as part of my 503s 25hr service. The first place I went to didnt have the normal ones but did have the NGK Iridium plug in an equivilant. As far as I could see from the limited info on the box the main difference was better life but you could not adjust the gap on the them.

Has anyone tried the iridium plugs in their rotax engines??

Hi Vorticity

Some of my old hanger buddies used platinum plugs for their inverted Rotax's and sweared by them for not fouling and being super reliable. As for Iridium I am not really up to date with the difference between the 2. I never see platinum plugs on the market today so I am assuming that the iridium is the thing latest out.

Years ago when I raced gocarts you could really feel the performance difference between standard plugs and platinum, so once again assuming this could be the same with a Rotax??? Also I never fouled a plug when using platinum but when using the standard stuff the cart was proned for bogging down in the corners and spluttering if you never had the beast tickled up into its power band.

Hope I helped.

Knighty

Spark plugs.

Can't see why at the level of power developed by this engine that you need to use anything better than a good quality "normal" plug. The main reason to use these "long service" plugs is where they are difficult to access, (installation wise) and long service intervals have become a good selling point for cars. The failure is generally caused in the insulation (ceramic ) part of the plug anyhow and they are changed pretty often in the aircraft we use. They are about 10 times the price and I would have to be convinced that the extra money gives more reliability in these circumstances. Certainly if you are running dual plugs (4) and are experiencing no problems, I would not bother to change. Get the right heat range and it pays to have alook for any build-up of deposits on the insulator. An early style hairpin with one end sharpened to a chisel point is helpful here to remove the deposits. Nev...

Thanks for that,I was pretty sure that the quality would make a difference but was a little concerned with the inability to adjust the gap. With the platinum could you adjust the gap?

Yes you could adjust the gap with the platinums, I also used the platinums for my turbo charged Honda road bike as the normal plugs would foul with lead deposits way too quickly and the more expensive plug lasted about 3 times as long before cleaning. At $1500 for a turbo the bike and I departed.

Knighty

You can gap the Iridiums, I do, we set them a 26 thou for the Jab 3300. They do give a better more efficient spark and you can run a slightly bigger gap than normal.

JUST BE CAREFUL, the Iridium tip is not to be abused. Close them up slowly and carefully as the way you will damage the tip is by forcing them open again if you close the gap too far.

J

• 2 months later...

Iridium plugs are basically designed not to be gapped and to be self cleaning, thats from the NGK rep who was visiting Supa Cheap and I took the chance to ask him, I use it in an inverted rotax 447 and my own cars and they definately improve running.

• 3 months later...

Better Spark Plugs.

Vorticity,

BR8EV are the way to go if you want better starting and longer plug life :thumb_up: ,I`ve had 220 hrs from one set,I`ve been using them for years,they are dearer but you get your money`s worth by their extended life span,should be able to get them from a motor bike shop.

I found BR8ES were only good for about 45 hrs then it became hard to start the engine,they foul easier also needing cleaning every 10 hrs.

I`ve had 1 Rotax 503 and 4 Rotax 582,recently purchased a new 503.

Frank.

Thanks for that. I have just put in a new set of BR8ES's and bought a second set at the same time. I wll keep your advice in mind once I get through these though.

Then again if the wind doesnt settle down over the weekends I may get a long time out of the plugs that I have! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif