How to get to The Oaks?

Ross

Hi "The Oaks" Crew

I am visiting Sydney this coming week, Concord specifically. Driving down tomorrow, Saturday. I hope to have a look at "The Oaks" on Sunday afternoon if my daughter will let me or possibly during the week.

I need directions on how to get to "The Oaks" from the M5. I know where the M5 is!

Regards

Easy! From the M5 heading south take the 2nd Campbelltown exit (I think it is Narellan Rd). The exit road splits into 2 lanes, keep in the right one (there's a sign - go towards Camden). The exit curves around to the left and then you are on Narellan Rd.

Just as the road slows to a 60 zone and you see car dealers on your right, take the exit on the left (before the underpass). It's a Camden bypass and I can't remember the name of the road (can someone help?) I'm sure there is good signage though. The road heads towards Picton.

You'll go over a bridge over the river. There is then a set of traffic lights with people turning right to Camden (and people from Camden trying to merge onto the road you are on). As soon as you can after that set of lights, get into the right lane because the turn off to the Oaks is the next road on the right and it is quite soon after the lights. I think it is called Burrogorang Rd (sorry, I'm not too good with the street names!) It is signposted I'm sure though. The road goes to the Oaks & Oakdale.

Just drive along that road, through the first 60 zone (Mount Hunter). When you reach the next 60 zone that is The Oaks township. Pass through the township and as you emerge on the other side the airfield is on the left side of the road. Look out for the dirt driveway with letterbox because if you blink, you'll miss it. You can see the grass strips clearly from the road though, and hangars. It is before the road heads up the hill after the Oaks township.

By the way, while you in in the area why not drop into Camden airport? They have Jabirus, a Pulsar, and there are many interesting GA aircraft (several Pitts Specials (S1, S2B, S2C), Stearmans, Tiger Moths, Long Ez, RVs, Harvard, brand new glass cockpit Cessnas, and on weekends there is lots of action with Tiger Moth formations, Pitts aeros, gliding, ballooning (early) etc.

To get there from the Oaks ... as you head back down Burragorang Rd on the way home, turn left at the traffic lights once you have passed through Mt Hunter(Cawdor Rd). Drive straight into Camden township and take the turn left at the first roundabout (or the 2nd, it makes no difference) after you have reached the township of Camden (you will have already passed the showground and a pedestrian crossing). There's an old bank on the corner. Drive to the end of this road and turn right. Take the first road on the left (Mitre 10 on the corner) onto Macquarie Grove Rd. Over the bridge and the airport entrance is the first driveway on the left.

Clear as mud.

Hi Mazda

Thanks for your effort on that lengthy explanation. I shall have to see if I can translate it all into action.

I was surprised to find no response to a Google search for "The Oaks" that referred to the airfield.

Regards

Hi Bruce

Thanks for that. I must admit I did not try very hard thinking that there were lots of helpful people out there that knew where the best info was.

Thanks again.

Thanks Disperse

I don't think it's going to happen. The women have the next few days mapped out with our son coming over this afternoon. Anyway got both the daughters front verandah marked as a waypoint and "The Oaks Ap".

I was trying out the new "Garmin 296" in the car (our first & second Garmin car power leads were no good) and it had about one hour of battery power left at the Yass service centre. So that was about 3.5 hours used with about an hour left and three hours of driving left.

We have already had a brand new power lead replaced with similar results - it was very hard to insert in the socket on the Garmin and resulted in the lead coming apart on pulling it ou for the first time. I am still waiting on my second replacement.

Regards