ASA out to get Drifters

Guest High Plains Drifter

Just had a look at John McKeown's blog www.ragandtubeaviator.blogspot.com

For those that dont know, John is a RAAus Board member.

John's Blog has a picture Air Services Australia CEO Greg Russell speaking at a November 1-2, 2007, conference in Canberra.

At this conference, ASA CEO Russell cites a Drifter as an example of the type of aircraft that he claims poses a danger to aviation, and the reason for ADS-B.

HPD

because its likely to be flying around in controlled airspace?

because of the high number of collisions or near misses between drifters and commercial aircraft?

because of the absolutely extraordinary number of accidents involving drifters?

because of the huuuuuuuuuge frequency with which they tool around above 10000ft.

or just because airservices is deeply without clue?

my origional thoughts were more along the lines of what the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

So now I'm trying to remeber where the accident/incident register is (online). Anybody know?

Should be easy enough to prove them wrong.

Aviation Safety Reports on ATSB website can be found here: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/index.aspx?mode=avi

I'm not sure of what the ATSB's investigation or reporting scope or requirements are for "near misses". I believe ASA have the responsibility to record, investigate and report on "near misses" or "breakdown of separation" (I think that's the correct term) incidents within controlled airspace, for IFR flights (in or outside controlled airspace) and possibly other instances - I don't believe these investigations are published as the ATSB reports are.

I'd suggest the focus is on regional airports where RPT and recreational (GA or RA-Aus) activities are frequent, not in upper airspace (obviously).

Not sure if anyone's been reading the growth positions for Virgin and QANTAS but it's all about regional hubs/airports i.e. Wagga, Tamworth, Dubbo, Port Macquarie etc. etc, hence the large number of Q400 Dash 8s and Embraer jets being purchased by those two airlines.

While these airports probably cope with the current mix of RPT and recreational traffic, an increase in the number and type of aircraft operating in these regional hubs will require all relevant operators and administrators to consider and address the risk and safety implications of this increase in traffic.

Forgive me if I've missed something earlier on......

My thoughts....

I'm also on the Vans RV_Aus forum as well as this one. ADSB appears to be a sticking point with those guys as well. I.E. experimental GA fraternity...

Is there a way that we can ALL band together and present a fair arguement to ASA.

This means we shelve our differences whatever they be and concentrate on the big picture which is ADS-B.

United we stand and divided we fall.

Can we hold a fly in for everybody, GA, Ultralights (like drifters), Recreational Aircraft(like Jabirus), Weightshift, Paragliders...you get the idea, get all the gurus together, this includes ASA and have a fair dinkum discussion and sort out the imminent mess....

Regards

Phil

There has been a sugestion in pprune that in the US they would require LORAN as a back-up for GPS-ADSB integrity. LORAN is an older system that works on trianglation between ground towers and a unit in the aircraft.

Quote...."Solar flare activity can disrupt GPS signals... as it did last December over a good part of the U.S.... magnetic field disruptions corrupt signals between Global Positioning System satellites and receivers, creating measurement inaccuracies. According to NOAA scientists, a solar flare last December caused large numbers of receivers to stop tracking the GPS signal altogether... there will certainly have to be a position source backup"...

Looks like we may have some more free panel gadgetts to install in our aircraft.

HPD

I think you are drawing a long bow by inferring any of this from the photo shown.

For all I know the drifter was just used to show an airspace user in G - although one could also find an A320, F111 or a B737 in G.

When you say Russell 'cites' the drifter, I would be more interested to hear what he had to 'say' about threats rather than drawing all this from a happy snap.