Update - Tail Unit Formers

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

UPDATE.

On a previous thread I said that I would get back with postage and packing costs of the tail unit formers.

Xmas sort of got in the way and we did have some delays in getting some bulk materials in to make them from.

That is now resolved and we are now GO!

Purchase price of the former kit (comprising 6 x formers, roll of tape, replacement zip ties and “how to do it†notes is $30. Postage, packing etc is $15.00 to anywhere in Australia.

So for $45 you can have much improved handling on your pride and joy.

Orders (with payment via personal cheque or money order) to:

TOSG

MS336

TOOGOOLAWAH 4313.

DISCLAIMER – This is NOT commercial advertising! We are running at break even as usual to give the best deal possible.

Aye

Tony

hey TOSGcentral, i have tried to send you a pm but it says your inbox is full and will not let me send it,

cheers

paul

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Paul,

Try again now.

I have a lot of messages I want to keep as I am still working on them and tried out a sub-folder. It still counted them as being in the box - so I am doing some cutting and pasting into Word.

Tony

• 1 month later...
Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Sportsfans,

We have some feedback on the first of the new tail unit former kits we have sold.

One ecstatic owner who has just test flown them phoned in to say that while he was expecting increased control he was highly surprised at just how much.

He test flew in a strongish cross wind and found the rudder effect had increased out of sight. What is normally an exacting task for his machine became so much more easy.

That is not news (to us at least as we have been using them for years) but it does demonstrate that, along with other things, the basic Thruster can be made far more manageable, with increased safety.

I would appreciate other users posting in their own experiences. It may go so some way to encourage other users to upgrade a bit.

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

No - no Gemini yet and not one in sight.

However I do have three Glasshouses here. Although they have G type tails and I have never done a direct comparison with a 95.25 Gemini I am fairly sure the rudder and elevators will be very similar - it is the fixed surfaces that are much larger on the G type. The frame tubing is certainly the same.

Lois and I will knock up a set. PM me a postal address and you can have them to try. If they do not fit then you do not pay.

This would be a way of cracking the Gemini for the formers.

It would also probably be wise to do a bit of measuring on your Gemini.

Take the rudder and one elevator and visualise each split evenly into three sections. Measure the INTERNAL distance between front and rear tube frame at the two dividing lines and let me have it for comparison with the Glasshouse.

Aye

Tony

Ok Tony,here we go.I have done an illustration for you,I hope it loads OK.You should be able to zoom in alright after you open it.Like you requested earlier ALL measurements are INTERNAL.It is not to scale but all the measurements are very accurate.Cheers.

PS You should receive my TOSG renewal cheque by today or tomorrow.

422976464_ThursterTail.thumb.JPG.7ad07f879fe3ce632d61e96fd42ffa0b.JPG

Guest TOSGcentral

Good stuff Skyhog. Exactly what I wanted.

I will get onto it today and measure up one of the Glasshouses and get a set made for you.

Give me a PM with your mail address and you will get them shortly.

Try them for fit and if satisfied then send the filthy money - exactly the same as already quoted as there should not be much difference to the task and materials.

If yours works OK then I will cut out master templates and will make them available to any Gemini as well.

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

OK – with Skyhog’s valued input, this task has turned into something of a monster.

The Glasshouse and 95.25 Gemini tail units are totally different as are the Gemini from the chromealloy framed TST, T300 and T500.

Basically, while we can do the TST onward tail formers with just two patterns, with the Gemini we have to do four – to obtain the six formers required and they are substantially different from the later models ie we cannot use our existing templates.

I have spent the morning doing the drawings and will transfer these to alloy sheet to make master templates – which is quite a bit of hand sawing. From these Lois (who is a damn good cutter) can cut the formers and we can get them away.

That should not take too long but is slower than I originally anticipated. I will keep you informed.

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Sportsfans,

We limp along!

I am attaching two images – one of the kits for the labelled Gemini formers and one of the existing TST/T300/T500 formers.

There is one difference in that instead of the two rolls of tape shown you will be getting a single much larger roll of tape with the kit..

Gary – we are working directly off your internal measurements so these things should go straight in. However, I do request your return input on both fitting and flying. In the flying area you should have no problem at all – just controls that work better without the machine becoming at all ‘twitchy’. Any problems then talk to me.

The slightly downside to this is that we have to increase price for the Gemini formers to $55 inclusive of postage and packing. With the 1†diameter frames a great deal of time is required carefully sanding out the indents at each end for a good fit.

But our deal with you still stands Gary – try them and see if you are satisfied before paying.

Images (click on images to enlarge).

The standard T series kit.

The new Gemini kit (actually the one that Lois is putting in the post for Gary while I am writing this)

Aye

Tony

Tony,thanks mate.I don't mind the small surcharge for the extra time and materials required.I look forward to receiving them and reporting back on the fitting and flying characteristics.Cheers.

G'day Tony.I fitted the formers today and was very impressed with the improved handling characteristics,you hardly have to touch the rudder pedal to get a response.Fitting was a breeze and Lois should be commended for her fine "workwomanship".I have a fixed trim tab on each elevator(my reason for two was that I figured that if they are set the same it will eliminate any stress being put on the transverse elevator drive shaft and fittings,it had a real nose heavy feeling when I bought it)they were set up nicely before the formers were fitted but suddenly worked a whole lot more efficiently after formers were fitted.After a quick easing off of the tabs I'm comfy again.I will send the cheque for $55 shortly and you should have it by the end of the week.Cheers mate,it's been good to work with you again.

Guest TOSGcentral

Good stuff Gary! I am pleased that you are satisfied - I thought you would be.

Yup - Lois does a damn good job - although she can be a bit daunting when waving a carving knife around the workshop i_dunno

Thanks for the prompt report because we were holding off making any more Gemini kits until we heard how you went. Lo is itching to do some more but mainly we want to have a few sets "on the shelf" as we are both busy on a T500 rebuild and working on the two Swift prototypes so are organising our workflow.

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

OK, Lois has been doing her thing and we now have available off the shelf -

Former kits for TST, T300 & T500 at $45.00 a set

Former kits for Gemini A & B at $55.00 a set.

Both are inclusive of post and packaging.

Please note that we have no kits that will fit the Glasshouse or Gemini X - both of which have the G type tail unit. I will probably make some sets and templates, when I have time, to put on my own Glasshouses but that is down the track.

Matt - I have not heard from you. If you are having difficulty then PM or email me and we will get you fixed up with formers and TOSG.

Aye

Tony