Am I addicted to aviation?

Guest Reflex

Guest Chainsaw

Im very good at fishing Glenn 1

You bit. heh heh Of course I will. Ill even put a link on the site (NOW DONE)

The show has been picked up by the Australian National Archives in Canberra, so its kind of fun to do. Its called Life Stories Radio.

Karen & I have been extremely busy and are having a little break from production. We will be back soon though. We have 2 shows in the can ready, and as soon as I get the time, more will come. We did one show with a spotter live at The Beach YSSY. You are welcome to have a listen, it was a real blast (errrr not a jet blast).

http://www.lifestoriesradio.com

Spotters Show #21 http://www.lifestoriesradio.com/index.php?id=30

Down the track ther are all sorts of possibilities Glenn.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chainsaw

Today's plane report

After spending all Saturday afternoon at YSSY and taking heaps of pics (the lighting was perfect too *grin*), this morning I spend nearly 2 hours processing my pics and doing some more re-organisation of my database (FYI I use iMatch photo database software http://www.photools.com).

I watched the C5 Galaxy show last night, and that was great.

I just kept looking at the pics of planes in the database and being amazed at those damn things. I love the Austrian 777, the Qantas 330's, the Ozjet 732 and of course the VH-DHE DHL B727 (the yella one).

I really am sooo addicted, and I dont care. Its funny I say this cause I have hardly ever flown! I have flown although in a Vicsount, an Electra, a Fokker Frendship, Cherokie, DC-8 (Air NZ) and once in a 747 (early Qantas 1975). Nothing recent.

Guest Steve R
Im very good at fishing Glenn 1 We did one show with a spotter live at The Beach YSSY.

Spotters Show #21 http://www.lifestoriesradio.com/index.php?id=30

Down the track ther are all sorts of possibilities Glenn.

Wow Greg, considering there's usually a mild breeze at best at The Beach (more often a howling gale) the audio is brilliant!

Guest Chainsaw

Thanks mate, I thought the audio was very average at best for what we can do. That interview was recorded on an iRiver H340 40Gig and using a handheld dynamic mic. Pity we couldnt use the gear here. We use Behringer mics and mixer etc.

Guest Glenn

Re: Today's plane report

I really am sooo addicted, and I dont care. Its funny I say this cause I have hardly ever flown! I have flown although in a Vicsount, an Electra, a Fokker Frendship, Cherokie, DC-8 (Air NZ) and once in a 747 (early Qantas 1975). Nothing recent.

Will have to get you up here in the ultralights :)

Love the radio show BTW

Guest Chainsaw

Well thank ya :)

Ultralights sound fun. My brother would kill to get one. He has always wanted to fly. His big downfall is that he is a real estate agent. Kinda sad.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TConnor

A forum topic on being an aviation nut. I just had to add my two cents....

I've always loved aircraft and always wanted to learn to fly. My dad was a private pilot, although he stopped flying when I was young.

All I wanted to do when I was a kid was join the RAAF has a pilot, sadly my results at school weren't as good as they could have been, so that avenue was closed to me.

I joined the Army at 17, and I transferred to the RAAF three years later, and was trained as an aircraft life support fitter.

I was posted to 486 Sqn at Richmond and worked on C130 E & H models and the B707. I left the RAAF a couple of years later, and had a break from military life for 18 months.

I then re-enlisted in the Army, and using my RAAF trade made it into RAEME (electrical and mechanical engineers) and was posted to an Army Aviation unit operating Kiowa helicopters (Bell 206-B).

I transferred from there into the military police (not because I didn't love aviation, but because a situation existed where replacement parts just became too hard to obtain and the job got too hard).

After leaving the Army in 1998, I have done a few different things, the latest of which is a very well paid job, which finally allowed me to be able to afford to learn to fly.

In 2002 I started my PPL, but had to take a break from it for three years due once again to finances. Now I am back into flying, with 21.6 hours under my belt, and I'm flying every second week, normally 1.5 to 2 hours.

In a couple of months I will have passed my GFPT and will have rights to carry passengers into the training area. My kids are already in a queue waiting to come up for a ride.

I'm figuring that I'll have my full PPL about this time next year, and I'm looking forward to that freedom.

I'd like to fly helicopters, but I can't quite stretch the finances that much.

Yes, I'm an aviation nut...... someone help me!

Guest Chainsaw

Mate be rest assured, we guarantee to make you a lot worse (or better)!

If you read this post from the start, you will get an idea of what we are like :shock:

Glad you are here...did I just hear a plane??? Im out of here :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chainsaw

Why complain about normality. The dog is clever mate.

I was just sitting in the lounge having an interesting de-briefing with Karen, and an Super King went over. I looked up (yes in the loungeroom) and said, there goes an air ambo Super King. The look she gave me...ooohhh. Damn it was quite normal to me. 8)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been looking through old topics here on an unusually wet day and noticed that this topic has had over 6000 views to it. One of our highest viewed topics I reckon.

Anyway... it's been 14 days since my last visit to an airport :cry: although I have seen a few planes fly over.

Thank goodness for this site to keep me sane :)

Guest Chainsaw

Even though I'm still on the farm, I get to see Domestic and International planes fly over. Some of these are at FL40. Who cares, I try not to miss one.

I run outside or look up every time. I just have to!!

Oh I miss YSSY (Sydney Airport) after 3 weeks here. I need a MAJOR fix real bad.

• 3 months later...
Guest Glenn

Sooooo has anyone had a fix lately?

I'll be getting my fix this Sunday (weather permitting) Will be doing some local nav exercises. :)

Ohh and I can recognise aircraft now. I hear a plane and I cock my ear upwards and go "ohh that's a ag plane or yak or such and such" and of course I run outside when I can. But the other day I heard two hercs and couldn't make it outside to have a look :cry:

Guest Glenn

Didn't fly today. Someone did a hard landing in the Jabiru the other day and bent the nose wheel. Plane will be out of action for around a month

• 4 months later...

Am I addicted? Yes I am.

Did I go mad the other day and take 1220 photos at Narromine? Yes I did

Do I need help? No way.

Was in Sydney last week, but not at the airport. Was in Stanmore at one point visiting some people. Heard the familiar sound of a jet engine or a prop plane and did my ears cock up and go out for a look? Of course 8)

I hear something right now.

Any of our newest members please read through this topic and share with us your addiction.

Guest OzChris

I have a bit of a reputation of taking my family on picnics...at the airport :lol: :lol:

well theres green grass, a nice tree, great food and drink for all.... :D

Then I take photos of everything that flies 8)

Well, actually my family loves it thankfully :D

Its a good way of being able to spend hours at the airport at least...and the fam gets a picnic - win/win 8)

Guest Chainsaw
I have a bit of a reputation of taking my family on picnics...at the airport :lol: :lol: well theres green grass, a nice tree, great food and drink for all.... :D

Its a good way of being able to spend hours at the airport at least...and the fam gets a picnic - win/win 8)

Oh great, Darren's twin brother!! :)

I have a bit of a reputation of taking my family on picnics...at the airport :lol: :lol: well theres green grass, a nice tree, great food and drink for all.... :D

Can I come on the next Picnic? I will bring my Camera :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...
Guest g_i_jack029

I'm currently in my early teens and i am completely addicted to aviation! My room Models posters and remote control planes. Yes every time a plane flies over i bolt outside to see what it is, even at crazy hours of the night just to see the ambulance helicopter fly over. Ever since i was 3 years of age i have been to every Avalon (YMAV) Airshow. If i'm traveling long distances i grab the Scanner and set it to the areas CTAF and grab aviation magazines and i'm set. Out in the country if a light aircraft flies over you can smell the fumes... just gota love that smell. Aviation is my life!!! already!