Garmin 196 or 296 for trike?

Guest Daza76

Hi All,

I have had mixed reports regarding the colour screen on the Garmin 296 and its readability in sunlight..

My question is, has anybody had experience using a Garmin 296 in a trike? (which I would imagine has a much greater amount of sunlight glare than in a closed cockpit aircraft).

I like the extra features of the 296, but they would be useless if I couldn't see the screen well in sunlight! Would the 196 be a better option for trikes (less features but greyscale screen).

Appreciate any thoughts.

regards,

Darren

I've got a 296 in the Jab and I find it hard to read depending on the light so I think it would struggle in broad daylight. You'll find though that if you're used to it and you know what you're looking for you'll find it ok. I find when I try to get my passenger to look at it they usually put up their hand to try and block the sun and read it.

It's like watching TV in a room with the blinds open in daylight. If you're sitting there happily looking at it you're fine, until someone whinges about the reflection from the windows.

I use a 196 in a Airborne outback,it's wired in so no flat batteries,I've not had any issues seeing it clearly.Would you really use all the bells & whistles of a 296 in a trike, but they have come down in price which makes them mmm I wonder if I should.

Cheers Ric.;)

Thanks for your input gents,

I ended up going to a GPS specialty shop where I was able to take both units out into the sunlight and I must say, I was extremely impressed with the colour screen on the 296. It has a non-reflective coating on the display which worked great in what was a very bright day, all viewing angles were fine.

Needless to say I went for the 296!

thanks again. ;)

Darren

Hi Darren,

I flew a friends trike with a 296 in it a few months back. The only issues I had were with getting used to where to look for the information I wanted, no issues with screen visibilty were noted at all.

After using it for about 1/2 hour I got used to where to look and it kept getting better from there.

Cheers,

Glen

The 296 is a great GPS to read. I have mine on a Garmin supplied ratchet swivel mounted on top left hand side above the panel. I find that I can swivel to a position that is perfect when the sun glare is around. Also you are looking out the window when fiddling, as you do.

Phil.