calling all Drifter pilots

boleropilot

g'day guys

the little white Drifter for sale in the latest edition of the R A Aus magazine has a new owner - Me !!! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

only problem is she's at Rockhampton, and i don't have an XC endorsement 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - so i am looking for a willing volunteer to do the majority of the flying, from Rocky to Boonah

plan is to do the trip at Easter (so i don't have to take any extra time off work to get the job done) ;)

i'm happy to pay airfares/train fares to get my ferry pilot to/from Rocky (within reason - if you live in Perth or Tassie, it aint gonna work :;)1: )

open to all suggestions, happy to give more info on the lil blue/white beasty to the lucky begger wot gets the 'job'

i'm all ears, guys - who's up for it ??? :;)5:

boleropilot

Guest Fred Bear
006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifHe was suggesting another member - Sunny the Drifter Driver - supply your needs. Sounds like a plan.

I've been up with Sunny. Cue Lurch (Addams Family).

Oooaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhh

Correct from Slarti mate 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I am a little cryptic at times.

not enuff time m8

only 5 weeks now, and i want to do my xc endo with trevor at clifton

he has the fly-in coming up in 3 weeks so he's flat strap

i'm happy to drive the support vehicle and fly the occasional (under 25nm) leg

will have a strip/hangar prepared at Roadvale (see Google Earth) by Easter

still lookin, still all ears, but Wayne might get the job i reckon, will post a reply to him direct

cheer guys

bp

hello BP congratulations on your purchase of the Drifter mate(the biggest banger for your buck in terms of fun flying). for farrying your drifter you might contact Peter Reed at skyflite in kooralbyn. if he cant do it he might get you in touch with somebody who can. he farried mine from Qld to sydney about 5 years ago.

cheers

g'day

hey thanks drifter driver,

i've heard of peter at kooralbyn, spoke to some guys at the flying tigers (boonah) last weekend re. hangar space and they thought the kooralbyn operation had been sold and that the hangar there was now being used for a workshop? not sure of the details but that may have been peter's setup?

anyway guys it's going well, looked at a disused strip at Roadvale today, lovely old fella there will lease a shed and the strip for the same amount i'd pay in boonah, but big advantages here:

(1) only ONE acft in the shed (mine) - no pushin and shovin other acft to go for a fly (or havin my drifter whacked about by other guys wanting to go for a fly)

(2) the strip is only 15 mins from my door (boonah strip is 30 mins)

(3) old fella will even keep strip mowed for me, if he can't do it i can borrow his tractor/slasher

(4) strip is 500m long and 25m wide - drove me Fairlane along it today and it felt just fine

disadvantages:

(1) shed has open front, but i will be installing shade cloth blinds (or similar) to keep the sun/rain out

(2) strip is north/south and prevailing wind here is east/west, so i need to work on my xwind landings/takeoffs - done a fair few in me training anyway so i aint worried - if i get 'stuck' i can always bolt to boonah (east/west runways)

will have a look at Google Earth and see if i can find a pic for ya's, i got the co-ords with me lil gps earlier today

cheers from a bloke who needs sleeping pills (herbal) at le momento

bp

Wayne's the Winner

g'day guys

Wayne has won the "Fly a Drifter from Rockhampton to Boonah" competition, we will be getting together here on satdee to discuss all sortsa stuff inc route, gps, nav software, maps, fuel/oil, and lotsa other stuff too.............

will keep yas posted on how things are progressing, up to and after the flight

might try to arrange a Drifter Fly-in at the Roadvale strip in the future ?

cheers for now

bp

Guest sceadu52jr
g'day guys

might try to arrange a Drifter Fly-in at the Roadvale strip in the future ?

cheers for now

bp

All the Boonah Drifter owners will enjoy that..... a 5 minute flight from home!!

Wayne

Guest sypkens
g'day guysmight try to arrange a Drifter Fly-in at the Roadvale strip in the future ?

bp

Hi boleropilot.

There are also quite a few drifters based at heck field (Jacob's Well) that i think would be interested in that.

Regards,

Jan

planning begins for the Drifter Day

well folks it's jumpin the gun a bit but wot the hell

me lil Drifter is still in Rockhampton and won't even be in her new home until Easter

will be having a look at parking options when i visit the 'field tomorrow

i reckon a couple of months time will be OK, also need to clear the idea with the landowner, shouldn't be a problem

basic structure will be a simple gathering with bbq lunch, basic fare

tentative date is saturday 26th april (Anzac Day long weekend)

let me know wot ya's think

bp

• 1 month later...
Guest Wayne

boleropilot Was just wondering did you get the new toy home ok ? how did the trip go any problems? would love to read how it all came together.

absolute nightmare actually

g'day Wayne, thanks for your interest

don't want to say too much because the return of my deposit will entail legal action, but basically the 'drifter' was not a drifter (or a fisher), in fact it was someones idea of how wonderful a drifter/fisher type aircraft could be - just a few small problems in the overall result, tis all..........little things like BENT WINGS 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

if i had known this 'drifter' was a scratchbuilt look-alike i never would have even considered it, the aircraft involved has an extremely limited resale value and acquisition of spare parts in the future would be difficult :yuk:

but apparently the seller felt i was 'obligated' to purchase it and took umbrage at my refusal to go ahead with the sale, hence his refusal to return my deposit in full

not what i had hoped for thumb_down and now i am initiating legal action for the return of my deposit

cheers for now

bp

Wow! Thats something I would not have expected. So he had built it himself from a plan or what?

And how did he think he would get $18k with bent wings?

If thats what a bent, kinda drifter is going for I may advertise mine! Straight wings and all ;)

g'day but apparently the seller felt i was 'obligated' to purchase it and took umbrage at my refusal to go ahead with the sale, hence his refusal to return my deposit in full

not what i had hoped for thumb_down and now i am initiating legal action for the return of my deposit

cheers for now

bp

Sounds like the same miserable story that I had with a Thruster purchase a few years ago from a complete rogue that ended in a long legal battle. Report the condition of the aircraft to RAAus, it might not help much but at least they will be aware of it.

Just a query, did you get a condition report before considering purchase? All the best and keep smiling.:)

Just oout of interest, there is a 503 drifter advertised out my way for $17,000 if you are interested.

Bilby54

Guest Wayne

boleropilot,

Gee all i can say is Bugger ! I was excited for you reading your posts, I must admit the outcome was not what I was expecting to hear. Oh well there are more out there and eventually you will get one. did you see the Drifter for sale on ebay at the moment? ends in a couple of days but the pictures look good. all the best and hope you find your dream Drifter soon.

Regards Wayne

So sorry it didn't go well, Boleropilot. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Your plight has made me put pen to paper (um keys to screen?) (you know what I mean):big_grin:

Rule No 1

- always "see" the seller as your worst enemy - not your best friend. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

This can be a very hard thing to do, but it does work - ask lots of questions and make sure you get answers.

Rule No 2

- if you can't get to the item - have a knowledgable person do it (CFI etc) :thumb_up: There are plenty of people out there to help if your stuck. This forum would be a good place to start.

Rule No 3

- NEVER hand over too much money as a deposit. (sight unseen) - $200 is plenty. :big_grin: I always ask myself - if this goes pear shaped for whatever reason - how much money can I through in the gutter?

Rule No 4

- take your time - the best plane might be the one after your hurried purchase. :yuk: There may well be a better proposition after you done the deal - but you have to be able to live with your initial decision. If not happy - walk away.

regards

thankx for the support guys

yeh not all that flash but i am looking at it as a learning expereince

hey vorticity - not sure, he may have used some parts from a wrecked one i heard about up there somewhere, number of that machine doesn't match his - big problem is where he got his dimensions/weights/balances from, acft has His plate on it but it sure aint a Drifter (which is what he advertised it as)

didn't know about the 'condition report' thingy, how does that work? and hey bilby, can you ask the seller of that 503 to send me some info?

and thanx big pete, all good info for a bloke just tryin to get a Drifter in the air...

cheers

bp