calling all Drifter pilots

boleropilot

Guest Wayne

boleropilot,

Check out the Drifter 503 in ebay under aircraft, looks like a nice little drifter.

I don't know any thing about it or the owner but it may be what your looking for.

Cheers wayne

ps think the starting price is $10,500

Hi Boleropilot,

I will get the phone number for the aircraft and email it to you but the main thing is there are plenty of aircraft for sale out there so check out as many of them as you can.

An Ultralight Aircraft Condition Report (UACR) is required for all changes of ownership of an RAAus registered aircraft. Essentially, it should be done by an independent L2 and will give an indication of the condition of the machine so as you can decide if it is what you want and how safe it may or may not be. The person doing the report should have a reasonable degree of maintenance experience on type and definitely should NOT be a mate of the seller!

From your description, you would not have to be rocket scientist to see that the aircraft is not fit for purpose so most L2's would not have a problem with expressing their opinion! I would request a UACR from the seller but if you want more info and advice, check out the tech manual or contact the RAAus office.

Cheers,

Bilby54

still lookin

g'day guys, thanx for the input, it's all gold

had a chat to some drifter guys re the ebay machine, it didn't get a bid but that doesn't tell the whole story, not the best avenue to advertise an ultralight

i didn't bid because (a) the belt drive versions have some negatives, and (b) it's a long way from Boonah, distance is always going to be an issue

thinking hard about a V nice Fisher at Byron Bay ($18k) but if that goes b4 i get to check her out that's too bad

me lil hangar an' airfield await, with bated breath - it won't happen overnight, but it will happen

cheers

bp

ps hay callide, i'm with you m8 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

pps hay bilby, wot necka the woods are yoo at ?

Hi Boleropilot,

I found the add as promised:

"95.10 Ausflight Drifter 503 XP, completely refurbished, new two pack paint, new fabric, engine top overhaul, stand any inspection, ready to work, $17,000. Ph 0428 621 299"

I do not know anything about the aircraft or who owns it.i_dunno

I am reluctantly putting my own Drifter up for sale as I am in the process of buying another aircraft. It is a strut braced 582 with a factory fitted rear pod, L2 maintained with logbooks but I am asking $20,000 if you are interested and it is based at Roma in SW Queensland

looking good m8

hey bilby, thanks for the ad details - have spoken to the owner, the aircraft are at Dalby and i will be at Clifton this weekend, so will be going out to have a look on saturday - he also has another one he may sell instead of the one advertised 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

apart from that i'm also interested in giving your machine a new home, $20k is my budget limit so it just fits $ wise - any chance you can email me some pics of your lil strutter? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

cheers m8, and thanks again for the info/help :thumb_up:

bp

No problems bp,

Say hi to Trevor as I haven't bumped into him for quite a while. Incidentally, Trevor did his instructor rating in my Drifter but he might be biased towards his wire braced machine!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I am doing a bit of flying for the Australian Women Pilots Association 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif this weekend so I will post the latest shots then.

Cheers,

Bill

I have had a bit of a look over the fishers Mk1s and they seem great. There are some notable changes that really make sense to me. One easy to spot one is the fuel tank that wayne uses behind the pax seat. I have not flown one but have been told they are lighter and perform a bit better than the Austflight drifters.

I would love to take one of the 582 or 912 versions for a run!! :thumb_up:

Is your field ready for visitors?

If that is the silver one, full pod with engine 50 hrs since overhaul. Then you should know that the engine was overhauled because he ditched it in the drink off Stradbroke Island. I didn't buy it for that reason. See link below. L2 maintainer advised me that it is worth $10k at most and is a project for anyone who buys it. The owner admitted to the ditching and didn't think it was a problem

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/advisories1/drifter-structuralfailure.htm

I just replied and the message went to another thread I love technology. If its the silver one BEWARE it was ditched in the drink off Stradbroke Island (owner confirmed - didn't think it was a problem). L2 told me it was a project at best and worth $10k at best. This is why the engine was overhauled at 60hrs. I didn't buy it for this reason

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/advisories1/drifter-structuralfailure.htm

g'day ab0767, thanx VERY much for that info m8, unknown to me, the guy selling it is in the USA, in his last email he did mention there was "a little corrosion"

in my opinion there is no such thing as a LITTLE corrosion - scary stuff, actually thumb_down

and hey vorticity, not yet, need to talk to the owner again re how much grass he will cut, i thought it was going to be the full width (24 metres) but so far he's only cut about 8 metres in the middle - something about fodder apparently question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

still looking forward to a Drifter fly-in there but i really want to get mine first !!!

cheers guys

bp

ps the more i think about it the more i lean towards a new Fisher WB 503

There is one for sale but it's in Wagga NSW, $13k with 0 hrs spare motor. Give Wayne Fisher a call at Spectrum aviation he knows of lots for sale 3 or 4 in Qld. I'm resigned to having to buy a new one just for peace of mind, but then I have a hanger space problem to overcome first. Wayne has a sport version, similar to the one he does aerobatics in which weighs in at 157kg standard tank 2 seat. Apparently very nippy and very STOL

hey thanx 767, any info on the wagga machine appreciated

been meaning to ring wayne fisher and have a chat, he emailed me a couple of days ago and said he'd be back at work in a couple of weeks (spinal injury, hit by a car apparently) :black_eye: thumb_down

cheers

bp

Spoke to the owner, Jack Russell ( not the dog) he said it was mostly used for mustering and he had trailered it about - so a few cosmetic scratches. Wayne has his number, Sorry to hear about Wayne, should have stayed in the air where he belongs

Still lookin.

Boleropilot, Just my 2 bobs worth. The wire braced version is more draggy (although stronger), than the SB. and if you are considering 2 occupants of substantial size I would want the 582 powering it. Get an inspection by someone who knows them backwards (so to speak). Nev...

not nice

apparently the silver byron bay 503 has been dunked in salt water

word is it had a salt water splash nr straddie

pix sent to me (thanx m8) show a LOT of corrosion

bugger

bp