Single seater Vs. Tandem?

Guest jimbo_xyz

Guest jimbo_xyz

I see that singles are cheaper than tandems. I was wondering for the people with single seaters like your Corby Starlet Ian, is there very often the extra seat would be handy.

I was thinking if I got a single seater I could use the club plane to take friends up.

Also how do you learn to fly a single seater? (I know it seems pretty obvious...but surely you don't just jump in and hope for the best).

Open to anyones thoughts or ideas.

Cheers

James.

The lack of a second seat is a handicap, not only in the fact that you can't take a passenger, but there is usually less room for luggage if you want to go away. I would really like a second seat as we get visitors and cannot introduce them to the delights of flying. Luckily we have a couple of 2 seaters at Rodds Bay, a Savannah and a Jabiru, but they are not always there.

Learning to fly a single seater, means that you must be familiar with similar planes and do as much reading and study as possible. I was OK with the Corby as I kept current in a thruster right up to the time of first flight. It wasn't until the first flight that I found out the ASI was marked in knots, but was actually m.p.h.

I think having a feel for how a plane flies at low speed is a good start for solo flight as you will not get into trouble at normal speeds. It will be in the last few feet before the first landing in a new plane that will test you.

My currency in the Thruster, could be considered odd, considering the difference in performance, but it worked for me.

Also how do you learn to fly a single seater? (I know it seems pretty obvious...but surely you don't just jump in and hope for the best).

That's how I learned to fly a single seat glider :)