On J170D ,large wings and aircraft design .

RFguy

IF it floats too far, get the speed over the fence back a bit. If you only JUST arrested it last time add a bit. IF you hang it up too high above the ground, the forgiving ground effect won't help you much and you could drop a wing. . Distance about 1/2 wingspan above ground level and doesn't work over trees. Less with HI wing. The air is "alive" so be alert for variables. Nev

(I am encouraged by the J170D reports- cheers)

NEV-, When you say " If you only JUST arrested it" do you mean arresting the decent phase , before the float and sink ? IE: not arresting it-being flare right onto the ground with a remaining high-ish decent rate ?

?

glen

Where you are quite close to the ground, too slow and in need of a quick and positive FLARE. This is a "no real margin" SAVE and can result in a very short ground run. YOU shouldn't be there normally and should go around if you are not in a safe approach and land situation on LATE final. Your flare is adjustable by the height you commence it and the rate you bring the stick back and the speed you are at. It's purpose is to arrest sink rate and wash off speed and achieve a soft touch down with no bounce. A go around from a bounce can be a very critical operation where many come unstuck It requires very precise control of attitude and use of ground effect. .Nev

• Like 1

OK, thanks for the explanation. sometimes, I have over cooked the flare slightly, and go from 1 foot and looking good to about 2 or 3 feet where I just have to let it settle again in a slight nose up. time from mains down to nose down in those cases ends up being quite short.

Make sure there is NO CONFUSION in any of this. It's fine to land with the nosewheel well off the ground and also to try to keep the weight off it when taxying on rough ground. Just don't lower it suddenly or you put a lot of load on it.. When you are good judging wheel height off the ground try a touchdown that brings the stall warning on just slightly before the wheels kiss the surface imperceptibly. You will never get a wheelbarrowing event if you do that technique. (Not for gusty and X wind conditions ) . For landing skills, when training, pilots often practice holding the time of contact OFF as long as possible . Don't gain height or do it too high. About a foot is fine. Does your instructor have a model plane with moveable control surfaces? Nev

Hi Nev. I have never put down the nose wheel first. golly. that would mean you had the attitude all wrong . mains always down first, and depending on how much airspeed I am carrying, the time for the nosewheel to come down varies. OK on nose wheel loading. yeah probably can pull a little more back on the stick as mains touch to extend the nose wheel drop rate ., since a stall with the mains down at engine idle is fine.

Yes, my instructor suggests in the takeoff run to bring the weight off the nosewheel as the TO run gets advanced. could do same after touch down as skills develop.

No stall warning horn in that plane. Does your instructor have a model plane with moveable control surfaces? YES

Yes, my CFI has been teaching me to hold time of contact off , just fly the thing down the runaway, nose up. The physics of it are all pretty obvious to me, since there is computer going on in my head of AoA/lift/drag/thrust/ sink rate . Like I've said, the bit of time in a foot off the ground I have found useful for correcting any static yaw still present to get a nice straight clean touchdown