Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche.

Really glad I  purchased this book. All the way back to basics and incredibly well written in simple terms. Pic taken today with runway in background. Cleared trees to left of workshop and next landing will be heaps easier. Especially if Melbourne lockdown ends today.

Currently up to chapter 4 The Flying Instinct. Page 70... The Feel of Lift. Gently tugging back on the stick them letting it go forward... I'm realising this is of course how they'd have done it pre ASI. On base and feel the speed and nose up lift or a worrying lack of lift then nose down/ power on as appropriate. Have this feedback firmly current in mind and feel for founding and flare... Combine this and a bit of string center of screen and I think it'd be easier rather than harder compared to how we learn to fly. Oh yeah, I forgot.... You'd have the instructor in the rear seat tugging on your shirt left or right for rudder control. 

Don't think I'd have the same benefit by reading before learning. 100 hours or so in and it all makes a lot of sense. 

20210217_082449.jpg

20210216_071553.jpg

Screenshot_20210216-074529_Earth.jpg

• Like 2

Well done Mike! 

You could probably also make ~400m of 15-33 runway to accommodate easterly/westerly winds.

The key is in practice, and "the feel" comes with more practice.

Have fun and enjoy your paradise!

ps: lockdown was never about the flying, it was about 5km away from home and since you already have the airstrip on your property, you can fly as much as you want providing you don't land unless in emergency.

• Agree 1