J230/ Jabiru horizontal stabiliser open cavities

I see the Jab 230 H stab has open cavities at the tips just in front of the mass balance/elevator. 

That's a rear draggy thing to do, and would generate some turb where you didnt want it.

Has anyone closed these up / glassed them over  ??? 

I glassed these and the wing tip cavities for this reason when I built. No idea if it made any difference though. I also did the ends of the ailerons and flaps from memory. If you do this make sure you put in a small weep hole for pressure release.

Mike

• Like 3

yeah seems like a good idea. OK on the main wing control surfaces. Those ones are  harder to get to post built.

If there is one think I check carefully on preflight, is no rocks kicked up into that gap between Hstab and elevator....(check with full nose up trim and stick back to get best view from under). 

I have also seen people covering with white Gaffa tape to achieve a similar result. I filled mine with foam and then a very thin layer of fibreglass.

Mike

Hi Mike

thanks for the comments

you stacked it up with styrofoam then sheeted with fibreglass ?

(I would avoid the self expanding foams without test as I would be concerned the self expanding foams might be incompatible with the glass.) 

Yes, just used old styrofoam and very thin fibreglass sheet. Would mean a respray of the altered surface though.

Would actually be possible to moud up an insert that would be able to epoxied inside, without any changes externally.

Mike