Which ultralights will I actually fit in?

3 hours ago, farri said:

Hi phlegm, This is Ron Biondi! he`s probably a bit bigger than you and his aircraft was the 95-10 registered version of the Drifter... Ron began flying his Drifter around 1982 right up until retiring from flying a couple of years ago at 90 years of age.

Keep in mind that when thinking about the Drifter, there are several different versions.

Converted_file_43ca4f41.thumb.jpg.7bbfab4884b0eb8bc3ab6d36115d3304.jpg

Franco,

Ps, I took the photo! Ron would come to see me, land on the strip then Taxi up to the house.

Thanks Franco! Interesting about the different Drifter versions, I didn't know that. Is there a particular one I should be looking out for? 

Another question for anybody here, in the context of finding my first flying job post CPL, do you think potential employers will be unimpressed by ultralight time and want to see more GA stuff, or is this a "time is time" situation? 

56 minutes ago, phlegm said:

Thanks Franco! Interesting about the different Drifter versions, I didn't know that. Is there a particular one I should be looking out for? 

To my knowledge, here in Australia, there is the 95-10 version.

The wire braced (WB), 95-25 version, built by Austflight Aviation, which is now in with the 95-55 category.

The 95-55 strut braced version, also built by Austflight Aviation.

The Wayne Fisher built, Drifters that come under 19-xxxx category.

Then there`s the American, Lockwood Super Drifter https://www.kitplanes.com/lockwood-super-drifter/ , I don`t know of any Super Drifters` in Australia.

My reason for posting the photo of Ron sitting in his, is to show that because you are much the same size, you could fly that version, but you`d be flying solo as ANO 95-10 doesn`t allow for twin seats! if you want to take a passenger, you`d need the 95-25 or 95-55 category. The first 3 I`ve listed can either be fitted with a small or large nose pod! the large pod would give you more leg room.

Franco.