New Pilot Certificate

Guest JHHarris

Guest JHHarris

I started building model aeroplanes when I was 10 years old and always wanted to fly. However, work, career, family, mortgages became my excuses for not doing anything about it. A good friend who is now a retired air traffic controller advised me to try flying at the Adelaide Biplanes flying school at Aldinga airport in South Australia. Another friend and I were given vouchers by our wives for a joy flight in a replica WACO biplane and we haven't looked back.

On 11 December last year I tentatively phoned Gaylene at Adelaide Biplanes and she said I could start the next morning!

So I had my first lesson in an Evektor Sportstar on the 12 December. One month later, on the 10 January I went SOLO and on Monday, this week (21 April) I passed my flight test for the RA_Aus Pilot Certificate with Nose Wheel, X country, Passenger Carrying and RAAus Flight Radio endorsements.

Was I perfect. Far from it! I haven't been so nervous since my wedding night!

I did lots of much better landings on my own and I couldn't believe I could make a mess of so many basis procedures. But, the chief instructor at Adelaide Biplanes is a perfectionist and expects a very high standard of flying and especially of safety, so I know that a pass from him means I can confidently hire & fly on my own.

I must add that the facilities at Aldinga are outstanding and everyone is especially friendly and helpful.

I turn 60 this year and I'm thrilled to have reached this milestone in just under 50 hours of excellent training.

Cheers,

John

Well done John,011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

You are now Licensed to Learn, and that is where we all are in the schoolroom of aviation.

Hope you enjoy the privileges that you are now afforded.

J:wave:

Guest Decca

Congrats, John. Welcome to the forums too.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

I'm envious, but won't be far behind you, I am soon to restart training.

Regards, Decca.

John / Frank

Since Frank has brought up the age issue.......you better get into it asap!

Life is like a toilet roll, the closer you get to the end, the quicker it spins!

J:wave:

PS: And life is more adveturous, every day is a new adventure, even if its doing the same thing:laugh: :ah_oh: 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif :rotary:

G'day John, I second your remark re Aldinga facilities. Martyn and Gaylene have done wonders for the airfield since they took over running. As a member of ACC I pop in occasionally for coffee and cakes. Are you going for your tail-dragger endorsement in their Sport Cubs? I'd like to but it's a matter of money. Martyns prices are a bit on the high side for me, still he's got to pay for all those new aircraft somehow. Fly safe...