Ross Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Hi there fellow adventurers, After ten years of active skydiving in the seventies, I got around to strapping on an aeroplane in 1984. After around 400 hrs in ULs I gained a PPL with night VFR flying 152s and 172s, as I was working for a flight school at the time and the opportunity was there. I did enjoy the experience and the challange at the time, but rarly fly GA anymore due to it simply being too expensive. I do still regulary talk with my GA instructor in California via Email as we are still good friends. I have designed and built one UL from scratch, and flown many other types since 1984 including about 30 hrs in a twin UL called a Lazair, which I still remember very fondly. I have just sold my 582 cable braced Drifter after 11 years of fun flying and now own and fly a GR Lightwing 912s (heliview with optional 2 stage flaps) Reg 25-3370. I work as a Aircraft Maintenance engineer and hold a level 2 maint Authority. I spend a lot of time maintaining all types of recreational aircraft, and often go bush to work on Slepcev Storches which are another great ride if you've been lucky enough to have the chance to fly one. I am Nestors agent in Australia for Storch parts. I look foward to chatting and maybe catching up with some of you sometime. Cheers Ross

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Ace,

Good to here from you Adam, hows the floatplanes been for you? No I am not at Shute anymore, it all sort of ended at Hammo and I decided not to pick up the job at Whit even though I was looking foward to working with Reg and the rest of the crew. I am now with Townsville Air Maintenance and it is nice to get home every night to my wife and daughter. I do sort of miss the flying commute at times though.Good crew here to work with so far and we have 3x Cheftains 300s, 1x Bongo,1x Partmafia, several 152 and 172s and a Cherokee or two. Enough to keep us awake !!! I did end up buying the Lightwing so it's mine now. Mick quit Whit recently to go South and get into some serious ag flying. Keep in touch OK. Cheers

G'day Ross, I remember you from Wilton in the early 70s when you were working for Alan Jay, building the "Parasport" gear. Seem to recall you were doing a lot of his rigging, is that correct? (It was a while ago). Glad to hear you are still active in aviation.

Like you I retired from skydiving, once in 1976, made a comeback in 87 and finally hung up the rig for good in 98, turning to microlights for affordable, fun flying. Have read a couple of articles you wrote about flights of some distance in "Pacific Flyer" (I think) a few years ago. Good articles, too.

I jumped a lot with Handles, Robbo and Pete Brammall from Canberra. Handles is still around, but Robbo and Pete Brammall are no longer with us.

If you're ever in YWOL we might catch up.

Guest Maj Millard

ol' Wilton days eh !

G'day mate yes I do enjoy a good blast from the past, seemingly more the older I get ! Yes I did work with Allen Jay, he was a bit of an inspiration for all of us back then turning out rigs from under his house. I went to the states in 1977 for some big jumping which I did, but also did my last jump later that year. I did many leaps with Robbo, and Handles and I shot a lot of discs together, back then at Wilton. I had heard that Robbo had passed and I get snippets of news on Handles now and then. I have to eat right now ok but I will get back to you real soon ok if not later tonight. Cheers till later ok. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G'day Ross, They were great days at Wilton then, the place is still going but not the same atmosphere now. I have a microlight and a J160C at YWOL, if ever you're down that way drop in and we'll have lunch at "The Aviator" Restaurant - meals the size of Texas for not a lot of bucks!

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Mate no problem, will definitly look you up for that Texas size feed if I am down that way. I would really like to hit Sydney and drop in on Graham Darr also. Cheers Ross.

Guest Maj Millard

I never did trust any pilot who thinks he can land on water, I mean REALLY. Especially ones that even own gold. I would like to think I am now postvan. Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif PS: There is a very nice Cess 140 taildragger going to waste where I work in Townsville, very clean, original paint scheme. Yours for a measly $30 grand.