Humidity

Guest Cralis

Hi guys,

As a new guy to Australia (7 months or so...), with my previous 7 years being in lovely Scotland... I'm sensing the temperature here is warming up! i_dunno

Now, I'm in Brisbane... Someone tell me we're at peak heat now!! And that the humidity will now go away!! 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif

OK, I hear it might get a bit worse... so, is there a way to tell humidity? I have a temp gauge in the house.. but is there a way to show the % of humidity? Would be a good thing to have and then say, 'Oh.. looks like I might not be able to go to work today!'. We're renting right now, and the house hasn't got aircon. :yuk:

Cralis,

Try this site,

Bellmere, Caboolture, QLD - Live Weather Data - Histoical Weather Data - Queensland - Weather - Rain - UV Index - Wind

It was mentioned on this forum before and I think it's member who lives near YCAB and has his own live weather station.

It's also good to save the drive if the weather is looking crap.

Guest Maj Millard

Hey, I am from North Queensland. We have real humidity up here, none of that pretend stuff they have in Brisbane. And yes the bad news is it does get worse, a lot worse !. Yes you can get a humidity % guage. And besides, I spent time in lovely Scotland and nearly froze my butt off !!. So may I suggest in all sincerety laddy, that you bear down and take it like a man....... welcome to Sunny Queensland. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

i think you will find the humidity will hang around a little while longer'

to find the reletive humidity there are several methods but the most common is the use of Psychometers. being basically made up of one dry bulb thermometor and one wet bulb thermometor. once a reading has been taken of both thermometors you can refer to tables to determine the reletive humidity or dew point tempeture.

pretty basic general metorology stuff.

yep good ol north queensland "mango madness"

Ozzie

Craig,

Enjoy the milder weather whilst it still lasts. February will probably be about the worst for humidity. At least you'll have some spectacular thunder and lightning storms to ease the humidity each evening. Here in Cairns, we can expect humidity around 95% from December to February/March 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif ! It's so hot, even your hair sweats!

Cheers, Mathew

Aw man! I was hoping for, 'Don't worry, Kiddo! It'll soon be over..'. Instead, I get, 'you're gonna die!!!'... heheh

I think we had a 30% humidity day here a while back. I thought I was going to die! I thought maybe the world was about to implode. I thought that I was going to drown by just breathing in the air!

Then, a work collegue told me that it can hit 90%!! WHAT!?!? :ah_oh:

No pool... no aircon... I'm doomed!! :)

We had an amazing bit of lightning last night, around 02h00! The brightest flashing sky I have ever seen! And.. maybe between 4 or 7 flashes per minutes! Pretty amazing stuff!!

Cralis,Try this site,

Bellmere, Caboolture, QLD - Live Weather Data - Histoical Weather Data - Queensland - Weather - Rain - UV Index - Wind

It was mentioned on this forum before and I think it's member who lives near YCAB and has his own live weather station.

It's also good to save the drive if the weather is looking crap.

Nice site!

It says:

Temperature: 22.7°c (-0.3°c /hour) Humidity: 72%

Wow! 72 is pretty high!!

Yeah it is good,

Try this one aswell.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Weather Forecast (Swell, Wind, Tide, Rain & Temperature)

The one thing is it is originally deigned for surfers so it shows High winds as good. Reverse the settings and you can have it as green shown for light winds(good flying)

Well, it does get pretty hot, Bruce...

"It's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here, your Majesty," he said and she smiled quietly to herself. She's a good Sheila, Bruce, and not at all stuck up.

Yes, THAT hot! ;>

G'day Craig, Welcome to Queensland.

Be glad you choose to live in Brisbane, & not Sydney, Melbourne, or Adelaide.

I moved to the Gold Coast from Sydney because it doesn't get as hot in summer.

I think it was a week or so ago Sydney was 34o, we were 28o.

Sure we have humidity, but by your second summer, you may not even notice it.

You will get used to it.

Roger Mac :thumb_up:

Guest basscheffers

Sounds like you have been sitting out on the patio, breathing in the humidity and watching the lightning crack over the cane fields. Someone should make a song about that!

If you head west about 400clicks, it's the lovely dry heat:hug:..."you've got to put the end of a water bottle right in the mouth, otherwise it evaporates before it hits the spot"...that sort of DRY heat...:big_grin::big_grin:

By the way, we had 40mm of rain the other night, first time for??? Oh, gee I've forgotten...i_dunno... it was Just B E A UTIFULL stuff:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif:thumb_up::thumb_up:

Cheers,

Guest Pabloako

The weather site had a bit of a revamp a couple of days ago and there will be a lightning detector on there in a couple of days time, which will show lightning and storms up to 600km away.

Just remember.... High temp and high humidty = cold beer in the shade.

I have a temperature guage in my living room that is currently showing 30.5 degrees! No aircon.. fans flying full speed, which seems to now just be moving hot air around... my golden retriever dog which I brough from Scotland is panting... my 5 month old daughter is in her cot sleeping (for now) with wet hair, and my 3 year old daughter is wide awake, hyper, due to the heat...

Lovely...

And this is just the start!? :ah_oh:

Air conditioner.

Yes I have been thinking of buying one (for one room only) A very depressing prospect. Some owners of large houses in this town, leave their airconditioners ON when they go on holidays. Explain that to people who live on a couple of dollars a day.

Cralis it is the humidity rather than the actual temperature. There are places where the temp gets over 45. Try that!! but it is usually fairly dry. You can fry an egg on a sheet of iron. They call it iron but it's really corrugated steel sheet. Didn't they tell you about this before you left Scotland? Still the Scots don't tell you about the midges that eat you alive in the evenings in Scotland either. N..

Aye. I'd order one now, but the problem is I live in a rented place right now... and the quote is $900 to install, then $1300 to move it to my new bought house when I decide to buy.... Are there portable ones that work?

Faster than a speeding bullet.

They will work but they are small capacity. You have to vent the air outside. That is usually done with a piece of flexible duct a bit over 100mm Dia. My son has a heat pump type and I think it's an electrolux. Don't use an evaporative type where you are,as they don't function in high humidity. Sorry Mate, It's going to get worse and It keeps on raining. Like a big sauna!... Nev

Guest basscheffers

Yes, the portable ones work just fine. They simply have a warm-air hose that you stick out the window. Make sure you get a refrigerated one, not evaporative - they don't work in Queensland!

When you move into the new house with a fixed one, you can just sell it on...

We are lucky here in SA that its dry, so we can run evaporative, which is rather lower on the electricity bill and more comfortable to boot. But like I said, that only works in low-humidity.

My wife tells me they only had a single room (the lounge) done when she was young - on the hot nights all the mattresses would be moved into the lounge to sleep in the cool air!

Ah, doomed. With the thing out the window... that's going to be a problem. All the windows have the insect net things on... and we can't leave the door open because then the beasts come in.. :(

I might ask the owner to get aircon put in, and they can raise our rent a tiny bit... That would be a win-win solution, surely? I'll call on Monday to try my luck..

Opening.

You can leave the insect things on and a window open and have a plywood piece to fill the window opening, incorporating the duct. When you leave you just remove the piece of plywood and close the window...Nev..

This sounds interesting. So you basically remove a window pane? Can you maybe send a link to what I would need for this? I'm new to this whole Aircon thing.. :)