Instrument panel

pudestcon

Probably the wrong section but I'll give it a go here anyway...

I am designing an instrument panel for the T500 currently being restored. Most of the T500s I have looked at have an instrument panel shaped loosely like a 'T' with all the instruments and switches mounted in the horizontal part of the 'T' and the vertical part extending down and fixed to the axle. Does anybody have any good ideas on instrument panel design as I'm thinking I'll do away with the vertical section and just have the panel fixed to the pod?

I'm looking forward to your thoughts here:big_grin:

Cheers,

Pud

• 1 month later...

Hi Pud,

You may have already designed a panel to suit your aircraft but there is a photo of a really clean panel on the front page of the last TOSG bulletin.

I am restoring a T300 and thought that this design looked really clean and well laid out - what you can see of it.

G'day Bilby,

Yes I have the design done now and will post a photo once I have all the gauges in place. I checked out the instrument panel on the TOSG front cover and it does look well set out - would be good to see it all though.

How is your T300 restoration going?

Pud

My T300 resto is a work in progress that started in 3 BC and should be completed well and truly after the world runs out of oil!!

It was the last Thruster used in the mobile flying school and should really have been put in a museum to show how dangerous an aircraft can be but still fly. Tony Hayes convinced me to restore it and gave more help than I could ever have asked for as was his nature.

I have become more serious about it now and will probably do an article for the TOSG bulletin when completed.

How far off is the T500 from flying?

OK so your T300 is a work in progress.:big_grin:

A bit like my T500 although initially it was supposed to be flying by last November:raise_eyebrow:

it might be this November now:sad:

I must say it has been very hot of late so no work is being done. Looking forward to getting it in the air though.

Pud

• 3 weeks later...

Instrument panel work in progress

[ATTACH]10115.vB[/ATTACH]I thought I would post a photo of the work in progress instrument panel. It still needs the switches installed under the air speed indicator and altimeter, and a paint job. The colour will be Ford Rapid which is a rather bright yellow with just a hint of orange in it.

What do you think?

Pud

P1020643.jpg.6a134043ccc19dc64ccc14fdfa227a71.jpg

• 2 months later...

Pud, make sure you can switch the clock off or else it will drain your battery when in the hanger. Otherwise, looks great.

Cheers

Maynard

Here is the latest effort - slow progress but nearly there.[ATTACH]15973[/ATTACH]

Great workmanship Pud,

looks really good if the rest of the restoration is that good it will be a top machine.

Keep it up.

Monty

Great workmanship Pud, looks really good if the rest of the restoration is that good it will be a top machine.

Keep it up.

Monty

Thanks Monty,

The whole project is progressing slowly but should be worth the effort with the final result.

Cheers,

Pud

Pardon my stupid question Pud, but is that a cigarette lighter outlet on the top right? Is it used for powering devices in flight, or for charging the battery (or maybe both)? Or something different altogether?

Do you just hard-wire it into the battery?

Gerry

G'day horsefeathers,

No question is a stupid question if you don't know the answer - that's what we are all here for - to ask 'stupid' questions and get useful answers;)

Yes, it's to power my GPS. I'll probably power the cigarette lighter socket up through the master switch.

Cheers,

Pud

Hi Pud,I am building a new dash / instrument panel for my Javelin. I was proposing Aluminium and attaching it to the fibreglass pod (the Javelin pod is not unlike a Thruster pod but smaller). I noted that there is significant vibration in the Javelin when the engine is running which transmits down to the instruments. Do Thrusters have the same vibration issue and is the vibration a problem to my instruments? Is that why you used timber for the dash?

Can anyone advise me on this please before I do the basic construction.

David

Yes it is a problem David and I don't think it would matter if you used ply (as I have done), aluminium or fibreglass. What I intend to do is provide a shock absorbing material between the instrument panel and the fibreglass pod. Not sure how yet but I might use those stick on door buffers which are about 10mm in diameter and about 3-4mm thick. Another option is to use a self adhesive (one side) medium density foam such as the draft excluder products you can get. Just not sure yet but I'll let you know what I do.

Pud

Just curious Pud, but why do you feel the need for a clock? I thought most of us fly to get away from time restrains etc.

deskpilot,

My understanding is that it is a legal requirement for a timepiece in an aircraft when flying away from your local area. I have seen all sorts in rec aircraft but figured it would be nice to have a clock that matches the other instruments - mind you it was not cheap!!!

Pud

What about that thing most of us strap to our wrists? It doesn't actually need to be mounted to the aircraft, just aslong as you have an accurate timepiece.

What about that thing most of us strap to our wrists? It doesn't actually need to be mounted to the aircraft, just aslong as you have an accurate timepiece.

There are all sorts of alternatives papafox,

I don't wear a wrist watch but do have a mobile phone so no probs with satisfying the requirement - I could have also purchase an elcheapo digital from the 2 buck store and stuck it on with 2 sided tape. Its just that my way of satisfying the requirement was to mount a clock in the panel that was in keeping with the aircraft it is being used in - I didn't want digital 'cos an analog clock looks much better in a Thruster. I reckon it looks ok too:thumb_up:

Cheers,

Pud

Hi David,

I have used a sticky back sail cloth to patch the Drifter cloth. You can get that from Wayne Fisher at Spectrum Aviation 0266224466. It is real strong and once on won't move. Not sure if it is what you want but just a thought.

Monty

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, The anolog clock I have in the Lightwing is one of my favorite instruments, and I use it constantly in-flight, for fuel tank switching etc. Been a bit off wearing a wristwatch myself lately, and well, the mobile can always run out of battery can't it. A very handy flight instrument especially for the long flights................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Pud, The anolog clock I have in the Lightwing is one of my favorite instruments, and I use it constantly in-flight, for fuel tank switching etc. Been a bit off wearing a wristwatch myself lately, and well, the mobile can always run out of battery can't it. A very handy flight instrument especially for the long flights................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G'day Maj,

Yep, I agree a good time piece is indispensable and having it in the instument cluster makes for ease of use in my opinion.

Cheers,

Pud