Can my wife train in a 19 registered jabiru

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi

I Know that school aircraft that are used for training need to be 24 registered and maintained by a L2.

Question is, assuming I can get an appropriate instructor, can I get my wife trained in my(sorry freudian slip... Our) 19 registered J230 or does it have to occur in the school 24 registered J160.

Andy

Yes she can be trained in it, as she is the (part) owner of it. The only proviso would be that the a/c would have to have flown off its test period before it can carry a pax (or instructor).

That is correct, although you need to substitute 'owner' with 'builder'. Only builders can be trained in their own 19 cat aircraft, not 'owners' per se, who have purchased a 19 cat aircraft.

Yes, the test hours need to be completed also.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...
substitute 'owner' with 'builder'

Not one to question the TechMan, but I was under the impression that any owner of any type of aircraft could be taught in his or her own aircraft, providing it was two seat and the instructor was familiar with the machine?

If not, we are heading the way of AOC's and the like...

Arthur.

Guest brentc

The Techman is away on annual leave for a while (mongrel), however I can absolutely confirm that he is correct. It has always been that way in both UL and GA homebuilts. Lets just say you purchase an immaculately built kit Jabiru with the intentions of getting your certificate in it, unfortunately you can't. There are many instructors out there whoever who either ignore this rule or are ignorant of it. So when you build your aircraft you might want to list anyone and everyone that helped you build it if they may ever wish to learn to fly your aircraft.

Guest Ken deVos

The current regulations stipulate an 'owner AND builder' can be trained in a 19 a/c. Pity the person who buys a 19 a/c, but then cannot legally be trained to fly it.

However, note the wording is changed to 'owner OR builder' in the proposed Part_103.

• 1 month later...

19 reg. interesting fact

Reading this thread ....Reminds me of a bit of silliness.....After I bought a amateur built aircraft. (19 reg). I find that I can't (legally) get an instructor to show me how to fly it! I have trained in a Gazelle .. I will probably do the tailwheel conversion in an Auster! or maybe Lightwing . and then HUP! teach myself to fly my low wing monoplane all by myself! In fact I will ask nicely and get someone with vast experience to come along...But I can't log hours...

Ab initio instruction is not allowed unless you are the builder but a type conversion or a particular design feature (say water endorsement) can be undertaken if you are the owner and the instructor is appropriately rated. I have previously trained an owner in a flying boat and no paperwork problems arose. Hope this will help you out.

Nick