Is it advisable to do own theory studies?

Hi all,

So far my planning is to get the practical training through the training center and self study the theory for the exams (pre-solo, BAK) - due to financial reasons.

I am wondering whether this is advisable. i_dunno

I have no hurry in getting my license (though i am naturally a 'couldn't wait till that get done' guy).

Please don't take the following information wrong, this is only to let you know what is my stance in relation to technical details: I am a civil engineer.

P.S: I have 2 kids under 5. :hittinghead:

Thanks in advance

cheers,

Guest rocketdriver

I reckon its a personal thing Pradeep. I too have an engineering background and self studied for all my aviation theory (many years ago now!)..Its not for everyone, but with your background especially and if you have good self discipline and a willingness to think over any difficult bits until they are understood, I think that self study means more money for flying .... And you can always ask your instructor to explain something you don't fully understand ..... and if it doesn't work for you, you can always go to Plan B and enroll .....

Regards

RD

I self studied mine - and am currently doing CPL theory as well now.

It really depends on you, do you retain information if you read it, or do you need someone to tell you - show you.

I honestly think you'll be ok doing it though, if you have an understanding of the aircraft etc it helps immensely.

Go for it, and if you find it to hard... ask your instructor for help - that is what they're there for.

Have fun:thumb_up:

Another vote for self study - although again a technical background so most of the physics/engineering came naturally. I'm naturally inquisitive, so spent a lot of time reading anything I could get my hands on. When it came to sit the exams, I had no problems.

I did, however, do a 2 or 3 hour course on HF, followed by an exam (it seemed to me that there wasn't a lot of stuff around on HF - the course was built around the RA syllabus and followed pretty closely the exam questions so was good value).

Good question, depends on your instructor. I started my RAAus study coming from a very strong technical background like yourself. The problem is that aeronautical theory while complex, needs to be simplified so as to be most relevant and efficent in the cockpit. What worked for me was finding an instructor who did good briefings. As we ran through the briefing Kev would get me to explain the theory that was occuring. This gave him the chance to confirm that I correctly understood the study while giving him the chance to bring all that theory into 'stick, rudder and throttle' response. As an engineer it is too easy to fall into complex explainations when the answer needs to be simple in control inputs.

I had other schools demand that I participate in there $$$ theory course. I think the way that kev and I did it was better. If you can find a book called aerodynamics for naval aviators than it could be good reading for someone with a physics/maths background.

I did, however, do a 2 or 3 hour course on HF, followed by an exam (it seemed to me that there wasn't a lot of stuff around on HF - the course was built around the RA syllabus and followed pretty closely the exam questions so was good value).

Graeme, where and how much? :)

Guest davidh10

Another vote for self training

I too decided to take the initiative and get into it. Using the RAA syllabus, I read through the theory on the RAA site and also Googled all manner of topics, being sure to find multiple sources for each topic. There's a lot of well meant but inaccurate information out on the Internet, so being sure it is correct is important. I do that by looking at the author's background, examining the motivation for posting the info and then finding several other credible sources to see if they concur.

When unsure, or if you have trouble finding something or understanding it, just ask your instructor.

This approach takes a lot of time, but if you enjoy learning, as I do, and have a technical background with good physics knowledge, as you would have, then it is a better way of making the information stick in your mind.

People who "cram" for an exam, usually forget most of the material in the next few weeks to months. As most of what you learn is to keep you safe, why would you want to compromise your own safety.

I ended up making about 43 pages of notes for my BAK syllabus over a period of several months and then had no problem with the exam. For me, writing it down helps me remember it, even if I never refer back to the notes. If I get rusty, I've got my notes to re-read.

Having said this, self study is not for everyone, but there's no harm in having a go, as long as you don't learn incorrect info, which then has to be unlearned.

Best wishes for your success.

I did my Pre-solo circuit exam today and got through it. I know it is only a vary small part of the total exams and I have a long way to go.

I will see how I am going with my Pre-solo area and figure out my position in self learning. As you all said above it depends on the dedication and self discipline I think.

Thanks with regards,

pradeep

I have a hard time learning through books and class environments are worse. I leasr great though if I actually _do_ (usually :-)). I self studied everything for my RA certificate using a PPL training kit so some of the stuff I studied wasn't required but thats ok, it was interesting enough :-)

Human factors was the really hard one for me. I managed the minimum mark for that but everything else I did well in. I did go through the books literally 4 times though and that doesn't include revising bits and pieces!

Speaking of which, I said to the other half just this weekend when I was prepping the plane that it was time to go through them again and see how much I remembered / brush up :-)

study books

hi all,does anyone have any PPL study books for sale by Bob Tait ? i am looking to buy somethong that would enable me to get my PPL theory completed

thanking you in advance

gary:help:

Re study material

As you should remember from previous study some books/references work for you and not for me - others for me and not for you so choice of study material is important. Suggest you go somewhere (YMMB?) where there is a range and look at how it is presented, also consider second sources (another view of the topic), for most of it old or P/Cpl stuff would be fine.

Also get any practice tests.

jcamp,

when i read your post I recalled something...

Sometime back I did an online IQ test with some results (couldn't remember what was my IQ). The outcome I got from this test was how do I absorb information. Basically I am (or atleast my brain is) a visual information processing person, means I will grab and process and remember information much better and quicker if the information is provided in a diagram (illustrated?) than if I had to read through the information.

This helped me in deciding what kind of books I need to buy for my studies (I love those colored new BAK book and VFR guides). If I had to read through I draw up the summary of the contents to make it easy.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,