newie

Hey all,

Just joined the group, a real newie to flying.. based in Bathurst and learning in a Jabiru 160.

Ive been wanting to learn for a long time, i am really keen on Flight Sim FSX and also radio scanners, listening to ATC for most of my life .

Look forward to talking to the newies and of course experienced pilots here!!

Dave

Guest davidh10

Welcome Dave, from another newie :-)

Lots of interesting topics, as you browse the forums...

Enjoy your flying.

:welcome:Dave

Flight Sim FSX is great fun in between the real thing, pity they don't have a J160 on there.

I think I read a post on here somewhere, that one of the boys had downloaded one from somewhere, but that would probably be beyond my computer skills.

Enjoy your training and let us know how you progress.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, there's always someone happy to help.

JUST DON'T ASK FOR MONEY :big_grin: as it could make the forums go a bit quiet.:peepwall:

Regards Planey

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome! I am sure to ask many questions as i progress through the training. Will certainly keep the updates coming also!

I have downloaded the jabiru from that website, thanks for that link .. appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Have had my second lesson today and was basically allowed to take off .... great feeling, the Jab really is a great aircraft! Today was learning, slips, minor turns and basic control of the aircraft! I look forward to next Wednesday for round 3.

Have had my second lesson today and was basically allowed to take off .... great feeling, the Jab really is a great aircraft! Today was learning, slips, minor turns and basic control of the aircraft! I look forward to next Wednesday for round 3.

Good work Dave, lots of great feelings to come. You normally drive home feeling on a high and keep re-living the experience.

How did you go with the Jabiru for FSX? I've not got mine set up yet.

Kind Regards

Planey

Thanks planey, you are right, sure was re living the day! Sure is something to look forward too each week. The jab on FSX will not work, the files apparently are too old. I noticed the file was for FS 2004. I will keep looking or someone might create one .

Just so you know, Bushpilot from these forums is my instructor!

Due to bad weather this week, didnt get a chance to fly yesterday, booked in for 2 lessons next week, pray for good weather! I was busting to get back in the Jab..

Hope all those new pilots are having a ball like i am!

Dave

Gooday

Gooday Dave 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Its good to see more people learning to fly, the only problem is the addiction 'humm'

Good see you learning at Bathurst, what a good part of the world.

let us now how the training is going. :rotary:

Yours in flying

Mick

Guest davidh10
Due to bad weather this week, didnt get a chance to fly yesterday, booked in for 2 lessons next week, pray for good weather! I was busting to get back in the Jab.. Hope all those new pilots are having a ball like i am!

Dave

Year...bummer!

I've only flown once this week. The weather combined with work and the days drawing in is making it harder and harder to get time in the air during the working week. Worse, the weather isn't looking good for the weekend:crying:

Thought I might get up last night between showers, but just as I was about to start pre-flight, it started raining over the airfield, so gave it away for the night. I'm not that desperate that I want to fly in the rain in an open cockpit;)

Hope it is better where you are, and welcome to both flying and the site.

Regards

David.

Guest Jools

Welcome from another student also learning in the 160! A beautiful aircraft indeed... looking fwd to sharing tips and info as we progress.

Jools:welcome:

Good to hear your also learning in a Jab.. im back for another lesson in morning, then again on Thursday, pending weather which is heading Bathurst way once again. I missed lesson last week, so keen to get back into it.

After missing out last week, had a morning flight with almost perfect weather, sunshine out as we went over the theory of todays lesson. I then went out to preflight the Jab, i will get used to this without needed the cards to look through. Then it was onto the run up etc, taxiing down runway, finally got hang of the feet steering thing, then it was take off we go using RWY 17 today.. PIC had me doing turns, straight and levels, start of leaning circuits. Flew over Ben Chifley dam towards Rockley, a few 360 turns and back to airport. I pretty well setup for landing back at 17 and 200 ft from ground PIC took control with myself feeling controls as he landed. I finished off by doing the landing roll out and taxi , shutdown at hangar. What a day!!

Tomorrow we are looking at climbs and decends, possibly more on circuits as well.

Fingers crossed for weather.

Dave

Training how cool

Gooday Dave

God I enjoy the learning and gess what you never stop learning. yep how cool.

Tell us about your preflight what do you check?

How do you find your instructor?

What do you like about the jab?

Which theory books do you use?

Are you having trouble with anything?

You can get a lot of infomation from this forums there are heaps of people who can help.

Yours in flying

Mick:clap:

Gday Mick,

Always learning, never stop thinking of what each day brings me!

The preflight basically starts with an overall check of cowlings, wings, flaps, landing gear, oil, prop damage, fuel (if water found) , make sure all the covers come off the intake for engine, pitot, etc.. Im still learning, but getting used to what needs to be done before each flight.

The instructor i find is very good, good feedback and easy going person, no problems with questions if you need to ask, which i do. At the moment i dont seem to be having a problem with topics, mind you i just bought the Jim Davis PPL book, a great book for all new pilots. After the theory on Wed and Thu, i was happy to re read back through what we had done .

I find the jab a very responsive and easy plane to fly so far! I like the idea of the stick in the middle, comfort wise very good. I am still yet to land, but i dont see that being far away at the present!! Fingers crossed.

As i mentioned , Jim Davis book i now have, very practical and demonstrated very well, the layout is good with plenty of stories advising of what can and may happen if you dont abide by the instructions.

It advises to read the next lesson in the book prior to attending your next flight instruction.

I have another flight this coming Wednesday, maybe 2 in the week if time allows.

Loving every minute of it.

Dave

Guest davidh10
...I then went out to preflight the Jab, i will get used to this without needed the cards to look through. <snipped>>

Dave

Dave; My instructor wasn't big on check lists as he felt that one could fall into the trap of only checking the things on the list and maybe missing something else. While I still had to learn what to check, he impressed on me that what I should be looking for is anything that is out of the ordinary. On a few occasions, he set up problems for me to find (without my knowledge). Some of the things he did over the period of my early training were:-

• Removed a bolt locking pin.

• Removed a Pip Pin and then sat it back in place so that it looked normal. Got me on that one:black_eye:. It taught me to check by feeling and physically testing, not just looking.

• Unseated a spark plug lead.

• Turned off the fuel tap.

• Small piece of tape over the Pitot.

Even when there was nothing out of place, he would ask me "What did you find?" When I hadn't found anything, it made me really think about what I might have missed.

Even now, apart from first checking the master switch and the magneto switches to ensure the aircraft is dead, I often change the order in which I check things. That way it does not become a subconscious automated activity, but has to involve conscious purposeful thought.

I hope this tip may be of use to you too.

Have fun..

Regards

David.

Thanks heaps Dave for the pointers.. certainly sits in my head now with my checks. Not sure if my instructor would do so, its a good idea to keep us learners on our toes!

How do others pre flight their aircraft ??

Dave

Guest Howard Hughes

Something that often gets overlooked when preflighting is viewing the aircraft from afar. Stand back and have a good look at the aircraft from all four sides, some of the things you might notice with this approach are:

- Tyres with low air, as the aircraft will sit wing low.

- Pitot covers and locking pins still inserted.

- Major structural damage from heavy landings, etc, not always apparent form up close.

Just another thought!:thumb_up:

Love learning

Gooday Dave

Gee good weather we have had this week. Have you been flying?

Hows the flying going?

Dose your instructor give you home work?

Its realy good to prepare for the lesson this will help with learning, ask what your going to do next lesson then study for it. 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

How many hours have you logged up?

Its realy good to her how you are going. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Thanks Mick