engine sitting log idle...

Adrian Lewer

Hi all I have been a bod bad boy and need a spanking... I have my Rotax 80 HP engine just sitting on the floor of the garage (covered) and was thinking last night... "this aint good for the thing..... what about rust"

Well What can I do to provent crap from forming in the cylenders ? I was thinking of pulling the plugs out and putting 20mls of oil on each CLY and turning over by hand a few times and then just turning it over a couple of times a week by hand just to keep the oil moving ?

What's your thoughts ?

Isn't there something on the Rotax site(s) about inhibiting an engine? I know the fashion changes from time to time, but from I remember of an old Lycoming service bulletin, they didn't recommend pulling the engine through - theory being that the rings would take the oil film off the cylinder walls. I think the advice was to spray whatever the latest wonder product was into the cylinders then leave it be until it was time to reinstall.

Engine Corrosion.

The 912 has Nikasil cylinders and they do not corrode. You should introduce some fresh oil into the crankcase and rotate the WHOLE engine so there is some oil distributed around the inside of the motor. Seal all oil line connections. The exhaust valve guides are the main thing to worry about so if you undo the exhaust pipes and squirt some corrosion preventing substance into the port that should help. There are special storage oils and treatment that is required for engines that are stored, including putting hygroscopic plugs in each cylinder. but the rotax is not as big a problem as engines with steel barrells are. Nev

Hi all I have been a bod bad boy and need a spanking... I have my Rotax 80 HP engine just sitting on the floor of the garage (covered) and was thinking last night... "this aint good for the thing..... what about rust"Well What can I do to provent crap from forming in the cylenders ? I was thinking of pulling the plugs out and putting 20mls of oil on each CLY and turning over by hand a few times and then just turning it over a couple of times a week by hand just to keep the oil moving ?

What's your thoughts ?

Whats it doing on the floor? put in in something and use it 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

One way of inhibiting a 4 stroke if you can run it, would be to put a rich oily 2 stroke mix of fuel in and cut it off with the ignition. Having pulled apart a Rotax I was pleasantly surprised to see the oil all over the place.

Ok so if I take each of the 4 rocker covers off and get 100ML of oil in each of the Cylinders then put the covers back then turn a couple of times that will be fine ?

What about putting oil in the plug hole ? goes in the same place ?