Older style radios

Ultralights

Now i have my own plane, i will be looking to upgrade the radio from the Handheld ICOM A20, Ebay and salvage companies are selling older style NAC/COM radios from old Cessna's and pipers, the only 1 freq only display for nav and 1 for com, the old click over style numbers in the small window, how suitable would these be for small experimental aircraft?? from my ealrlier days of flying, this style of radio was the norm and never had any issues with such radios..

664d_1.jpg.28bfcabea6b815154235f01f0da56fb8.jpg

When I purchased my A/C I specified that the Narco had to go.The previous owner said he wished he had done it years ago. Many don't have the frequency availability required into the future. Make sure that it is installed properly, & the headsets you use are compatible. As far as I'm concerned, the only sound you should hear from this out of date equipment is when it hits the tip as far away as you can hurl it N...

G'day Ultralights,

Facthunter is right, when it comes to our day and age, the radio's are only getting older, if you are going to spend money on a radio, it is really worth buying something reliable in the modern range. A radio could save your life when it comes down to the bottom line, I would almost rather a modern handheld than an old radio, specially not knowing its history.. whether it's a dodgy radio or internally old wiring etc. Its just not worth skipping the dollar on these sorts of things