ATC Listening

Hey all,

I had posted this topic a couple of days ago, had to be removed as i hadnt realised by website had been hacked.. in process of fixing now.

Now back to topic..

I have had radio scanners most of my life, being very keen on listening to ATC here in Bathurst. I installed a good antenna and can hear all re broadcasted transmissions . 133.05 Brisbane Centre, 122.75 Melb Centre and 118.5, 135.25 FIS all loud and clear! Of course can hear most CTAF etc Bathurst where im training, 127.35.

Anyone else keen on listening to ATC after hours when not in aircraft...

Dave

Thanks to all the good replies.. for many years i visited Sydney and took camera and got some unreal pics of jumbos, A380 etc. I sure have learnt a lot of jargon over the years of constant listening to ATC. It will help me alot with the local circuits when i start soon.

The live atc online is helpful, i did actually stream my setup live for quite many years, problems with pcs and so many people wanting to listen, will eventually find a good plan and start to stream again.

I have heard so many interesting conversations on the local CTAF. I do remember one year, when there was severe fog at Bathurst on car race day, possibly planes, jets , you name it on a holding pattern from approx 7 or 8000 ft up.. a smaller aircraft had requested to slip in lower , from what i can gather, a lear jet pilot blurted out, get in line like everyone else. It was the best listening ,most aircraft had to turn around and go back home as fog wouldnt let anyone land. !

Im unable to post website until its completely fixed and i have rebuilt it again.. Painful excercise.

Dave

Hi Dave

If you're interested in this sort of thing and as a pilot I'd strongly recommend the Pilot Information Nights run by Airservices. The Sydney one is on the 1st Tuesday of the month at Mascot, bit of a hike from Bathurst but these guys are great, they explain what they do and why. They talk about violations of controlled airspace, how and why traffic is directed as it is and how that affects other traffic eg GA flights wanting to do a Sydney Scenic and why sometimes permission can be granted and other times not. They take you into the ATC simulator and explain what you're looking at before going into the 'operations room' (not the tower) where you can talk to the duty controllers. Puts a whole new perspective on things.

They're open to pilots and students, RAA and GA.

Mark

Airservices Australia - Projects & Services - Industry Forums - Pilot information nights

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know how to listen to Bankstown Tower? i used to be able to online but whilst there a links to the tower through ATC.net or Basair they dont seem to connect up anymore. is there anyone who has been able to listen to the tower? or knows why its down?

• 1 month later...