Fuel changes in NSW

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Filling up my van at a shell servo on the weekend and noticed that there have been some changes to the bowsers and some new notices attached to them

the green E10 nozzells have gone and the yellow unleaded now contains ethanol

probably wont affect those using the higher octain fuels blue and red nozzles in their aircraft but may affect those with older type cars and bikes that where using straight unleaded fuel.

may also not be a problem in other states as the posters said this was in accordance with NSW govt legislation.

Just say no. That's what I've been doing. If a service station forces ethanol down your throat, go elsewhere. If enough people do it, they'll notice.

I don't object because of possible damage, I object because it is obscene and immoral to grow crops to run our vehicles when half the world's population is starving.

You can't eat dead dinosaurs (although I suppose many do eat margarine - same thing).

Guest ozzie

You can blame the former NSW Premier Bob Carr for this. he has a rather controversial connection to owner of the ethanol plant on the south coast that his mate owns.

How it happens.

You can question all of that. Also he has a job with Macquarie bank who have a great big stake in airport(s) and freeways.( Macquarie Infrastructure Group). Of course all of that is a coincidence. Mr Carr does not drive a car which is a bit unusual, these days. Nev

I object because it is obscene and immoral to grow crops to run our vehicles when half the world's population is starving.

Well you've got me out of the woodwork. [removed]. My point about the government is that they have done all they can to screw every wheat farmer in Australia by dismantling our export single desk (AWB) for doing what everyone else was doing in Iraq anyway. Now there are a couple of dozen export agencies all trying to undercut each other....marvelous. Our returns now are the same as the 70's yet fertiliser, fuel & machinery prices have climbed up to ten fold. If crops can be grown to provide fuel it is a good thing as they are renewable and can be used in Australia not exported for minimal reward. If you feel so strongly about the worlds starving population then sponsor a child or something but don't carry on with the obscene and immoral [removed]. If you don't want ethanol then don't buy it.....easy.

Please express your opinion without being confrontational to fellow members - Thanks, Mod.

Guest ozzie
You can question all of that. Also he has a job with Macquarie bank who have a great big stake in airport(s) and freeways.( Macquarie Infrastructure Group). Of course all of that is a coincidence. Mr Carr does not drive a car which is a bit unusual, these days. Nev

When he bailed out as Premier and left the State in the mess he made, his retirement package included a free office complete with staff and a car and driver.

Guest ozzie

Putting this thread somewhere back in the vicinity of the original topic.

I asked Rafael in a PM (the Brazilian who posted the neat photo in the photo comp section) what fuel he was running in his 582. This is his reply. quite interesting i think.

Auto gas with a 20% blend of ethanol mixed by the distributer. to this he adds 30% of Avgas.

Guest davidh10

Although Rotax say the engines (912 and 914) are approved for up to 10% Ethanol, they exclude all the fuel system components and refer that to being the aircraft manufacturer's responsibility to test / certify.

Airbourne's Operation manual is silent on the subject.032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

I won't be using ULP containing Ethanol in my aircraft any time soon.

I have noticed that the service station where I usually get fuel (in Victoria) openly advertises its Premium ULP as having Ethanol (10%, I think) and that pump has a "Do Not use in Aircraft" notice on it.

Fortunately I only need ordinary ULP at >= 90 RON.

The other thing to watch out for is Shell OptiMax, which has a CASA Airworthiness Alert on it. [old news].

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi DavidH10

I never heard of Pulp having Ethanol in it. At least not in QLD. The same cannot be said about standard unleaded according to our petrol sation owner. He sais that ulp "may" have Ethanol in it at times. It is still best to do an ethanol check oneself just to be shure.

As a point of interest in some parts of Europe ethanol is mixed into all fuels and the Rotax has no problems with this. I still won't use the stuff though until forced to use it.

fly safe

Walter

Guest ozzie

no ethanol in the twp PULP fuels here just the lower standard type. i'll check what they say on the bowsers. Shell do mention that the elprimo version has been formulated by farrari.

remember the problem will be with your existing fuel system and the sediments from the fuel you have been currently using and not with the engine parsay.

None of my cars can use ethanol - at any concentration.

I double checked with the manufacturers books. If the design engineers say no, Then thats good enough for me.

So for me its not a political decision. Rather one of mechanical stability. Besides, since when can you trust a politician?

So I just head on past and use BeePee Ultimate. I get an average of 60km extra in the 230E per tank.

Ben

Guest davidh10
Hi DavidH10I never heard of Pulp having Ethanol in it. ...

Walter

Walter; The distinctions, in my mind, between what is and isn't PULP is becoming a little fuzzy..

The products offered are "ULP (91 RON)", "Plus ULP" (95 RON and has 10% Ethanol), "Boost 98" (98 RON and 10% Ethanol - only available in Qld.), "Premium 98" (98 RON no Ethanol), "Premium 100" (100 RON with 10% Ethanol), "Ethanol 85" (no details but only available at 3 servos) and "Diesel (I've seen some servos with a notice that it contains some BioDiesel. When asked they said up to 30%)".

...and would you like fries with that? 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Errr... with barbeque sauce please.... 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I was with a friend and I needed fuel, so she steered me to a local cheap servo... all was well until I noticed each pump had a 10% Ethanol sticker on it.

In the manuals for my cars, it clearly says not to use ethanol, as it will damage fuel lines and seals.

Then looking between Shepp and Melbourne, they seem to be springing up everywhere.

Going back about ten years when the Ethanol fiasco first hit, we filled up with cheap fuel, and all was well for about 20km, then she was as rough as guts. This was a new Mazda 323. So we went into the depot... and yes... its allergic to ethanol. After refilling with standard 91 octane, all was well - but we were one of the lucky ones.

Ben