My Flight progress - Jab 160 Bathurst

Hey all, thought it was time to move my flying progress to this area.

Had a great lesson yesterday, doing all turns, 360's. 90's, 180's all good fun and learnt alot. Love how the jab is so easy to fly! Perfect day in the sky, sun in the eyes on the occasion, soon rectified that.

Supposed to have lesson today with Stalls in the J 230, due to weather closing in on us around 1pm, that wasnt happening today, especially having to climb to 6000.. Its freezing up here today, down to 5 deg and feels like 2 deg. We helped the 230 pilot put it away in hangar and called it a day.

Guess will wait until next week for the stalls lesson..

Dave

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good on you dave.... its great to be learning alongside other flying fans.. and sharing our experiences. I think stalls was something i worked myself up to be worried about and found to be nothing much to worry about. though the first one was a bit hairy so to speak. its all so much fun learning thats for sure. just a shame the weather gets in the way!

Thanks Rach, sure is good to share experiences along the way of us newies.! I was so looking forward to doing stalls, even was told would go up in the J230 with full glass cockpit.. damn weather. Anyway, instructor said will go up in it next week with weather hopefully better. Its like snow up here, freezing!

With the stalls, on my first flight we did one, so i had an idea of what to expect and didnt feel that bad. Especially since the Jab doesnt drop a nose or wing, watch the VSI and whoa, yeh we are dropping, but it doesnt feel like it! Stable plane i have to say! I guess we find out when i fly next week.

My instructor is also a member of this forum, he put me onto it!

Hope your flying is going well. Love your videos.. Will organise to have one setup prior to my solos !

Dave

my stalls lesson was in a jab 170 which was good. as you know im now flying in my sav, which basically doesnt stall... it seems to just hang there! so i will have to get back in a jab sometime just to make sure i can fly something else. you think the jab is stable... you should try the savannah. its like i dont have to do anything. if anything learning in the jab has made me way too heavy handed! still trying to work on my "death grip" on the controls. Rob is threatening to tape my hand up so i can only fly with two fingers!

would love to see some video of your flying. i am planning on my first bout of solo circuits since my solo flight a couple of weeks ago. will be like doing my first solo all over again! will have the camera attached to the tail... i like that angle..can really see my landing.

happy flying!

Rach

Well the stalls lesson was today.. perfect day for flying, quite still and very little aircraft around. REX landed and was preparing to leave not long after we took off. Headed over to training area climbing to 6000 ft and finding a nice clear area to do the first of many stalls. I have to say, i didnt feel at all nervous, although after the 1st one, i certainly had a weird feeling. haha. Throttle off and pull up, waiting waiting waiting, oh heck there it is. 800 ft a minute we managed, nose down and powerr up.. we must of done about 6 or so. Climb again, carb heat, throttle open. Pull up, hear we go again. then PIC decided to pull wing over on me (he did warn me ), get me used to using rudder to counter act. After a few more of those i got better at recovering. Jabs are good, from what i hear about Cessnas, they shake rattle and roll almost. I guess i have to wait and see when i get into one.

We had some spare time, so PIC said we can start on circuits.. which will be the next 6 lessons from Friday.. I will admit quite excited about all this, why i didnt start earlier i havent any idea. Better late than never. The circuits, preparation, landing, flaring, touch n go. so much to learn yet im keen.

Keep watching this space. :thumb_up:

Dave

hey blackrod

thanks for the advice.. re google. i am a bit familiar with the area and its not too hard because i have an ocean on one side... so as long as i can spot that i can figure out where i am.

forgive my ignorance... but what is RTFQ?

Rach

Hey all,

1st unassisted landing today on my first round of circuits.. All up we did about 6. One was a little heavy on touch down, also a little high.. but very happy anyway.

Monday is next round.

So happy.

Dave

First solo

Ha love learning i have never forgotten my first solo in a jabiru j2 about 8nm fron the' stip 'engine fail ' hum' got it down in a paddock ok, 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif never for got whot my instructor said

Aviate, Navagate and don't call a maday its too much paperwork.

Humm it was years ago.

He is not instructing any more.

probly good thing.

Always expect the unexpected

Mick :smooch::smooch::smooch:

Just had another Circuits lesson, did approx 6 circuits, i am getting hang of it, only thing i am not doing is flaring quite enough over runway, the setup not too bad, a little high on a couple. I go back again on wednesday for another lesson. As everyone says, i will feel the click eventually and i will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Geez Mick, engine failure on solo.. what a learning point in your life. haha. Well done.

Dave

Just flying

Ha Dave good to see you into curcuts, remember a square curcut gives you a good landing. One day it will just click and you wonder why it took so long to get it wright.

All the Best,

love the flying. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Mick

Hey,

Back again, ended up flying today in case of bad weather tomorrow, cloud started to roll in, we were just under cloud base by about 500 ft, which was perfect. had a slight cross wind, started off at 14 knots at 40 deg, dropped down to 9 knots. We used Runway 08 for a change, which is a dirt runway, more forgiving while im learning.

Thanks for all the posts and encouragment. Flying again next Monday and Tuesday.

Well done Dave on your BAK and Radio exams.. i am sure all that will be around corner soon enough.

Dave.

X wind landings

Gooday Dave good to see you flying.

Cross wind landings are cool, lf I have the option i will land x wind, its good practise.

One of the secrets of flying is "you fly the plane" don't let the plane fly you.

If its not doing what you want to fix it.

Are you in the Bathurst flying club?

All the best with your learning 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif :thumb_up:

Mick

Hi Mick, I will have plenty of opportunity to do X wind landings soon, pending weather dare say we will do them this week. IM not in the Bathurst aero club, its called Central West Flying, they own a Jab 160 and 230, with a new Jab 230 arriving soon. Looking forward to doing more circuits and nail these landings.

Dave

This flying just gets better and better! Another 1.3 hour today doing circuits.. These landings, i have to say, seem like each and everyone is different. I am getting better, the approach seems pretty good now, the final stage of flare and right power always gets me.

What is everyone elses idea of a perfect landing, what do they like ?

I think ive worked out my pattern. Although they never seem to stay the same.

What i will say, clear weather as far as the eye can see. QNH 1020, 3 knot wind at about 080. -4 frost, no fog, well at airport we didnt, in Bathurst we did.

Bathurst Airport Weather Cam provided by Central West Flying check out the webcam the flying school has. I always have a quick look before i fly to see if we have fog.

I fly again tomorrow morning 11am precise.

Cheers for another chapter.

Dave

curcuts curcuys curcuts

Gooday Dave you can never get enouth! humm. You will get to the stage when you will breeze it on every time, how cool. Remember a good curcut is a good landing.

What are your down wind checks?

Are you in the 160 or the 230 jab?

Have you joined the flying group?

Email me when you have a open day and i will come over for a fly.:thumb_up:

Yours in flying

Mick:rotary:

hi dave.

sounds like perfect circuit weather. i know we have to learn in crosswinds... but its nice to have the luxury of little or no wind just to get a real feel for landing before tackling the crosswinds. im now up to tweeking any minor errors i make... such as putting the nose wheel down too quickly. i am also trying to become more familiar with joining the circuit from outside... its a little tricky sometimes i have found! getting my calls pretty right now... still a few silly errors that make me giggle.... its all good fun. i keep feeling an urge to make my circuit calls like yoda... but others may not find that as funny as me.... turning downwind i am.... touch and go i will... entering and rolling i am... upwind departure it is... sounds funnier when you say it... hehehhe

only real thing holding me back from my licence is the area solo! just cant bring myself to fly away by myself! will do it this weekend if weather is good.

Rach