J3300 valve guide wear

deadstick

I have a J230D with the 3300 fitted, engine has 239 hours on the clock and is blowing smoke. started on sunday and its not too thick, I think its a valve guide as if it sits for a while and then you start it it takes about 10-20 second to start smoking and I think its because it takes a while for the oil to vill the rocker cover. What I am interested in knowing is: has anyone else experienced this and if so what caused it? at this stage I am expecting to find that it is lean as the exhaust colour is very white and when I pulled the rocker covers off there is a bit of carbon build up and coked oil on the front cylinders while the rear is clean. I have not found which cylinder it is yet and hopefully will know tomorrow, my plane was to pull the exhaust run the engine and ID the smokey cylinder then remove the head and inspect. If it is from lean running do all the heads if another cause just do this one. Any advice guys/girls?

Well how wrong was I, after running it today with someone to assist and spot the smoke it was in fact coming from the oil breather for the crank case indicating some blow by. off with the heads and the barrels and number 2 has a stuck ring from carbon and some of the bores are glazed up damn it. so off to the machin shop tomoz for a very lite hone and some new rings. Bloody hell I hope this is not a habit with this engine.....

I think a new barrell is around $400 ea

Not suggesting this is the case although glazing is a key concern of Jabiru engine dept and they seem much more concerned at running low rpm, (<2600) than high (up to 3100)

I have heard of this before and owner had to repair and have another run with run in oil

Interestingly my 3300 had similar repair on No.2 early on too, now headed for 750hr with no more real issues.