Aircraft with six engines?

Heard the loud and low pitched drone of a large turboprop flying over this morning and went out to look with binoculars. Saw a large transport aircraft with six engines (I think), flying the Melbourne-Brisbane RPT track probably at 20 something thousand ft. It was leaving vapour trails as wide as the six engines so don't think they were drop tanks.

Anyone know what it was? Do we have six engined turboprops operating in Oz or is it just a visitor?

Peter

6 engines

C-130 with drop tanks?

The only 6 engined aircraft I can think of is that Russian heavy transport that visits occasionally. But it is a jet, not turboprop.

Pity you didn't get a photo.

Cheers,

Ding.

C-130 with drop tanks?The only 6 engined aircraft I can think of is that Russian heavy transport that visits occasionally. But it is a jet, not turboprop.

Pity you didn't get a photo.

It was too high for a photo and with low morning sun all I saw was a dark silhouette. Could have been a C-130 with drop tanks, but I'm pretty sure the "engines" were all of equal size. Then again it could have been the angle I was looking made drop tanks look like engine nacelles. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Cficare: I found all those photos too and it wasn't any of them :big_grin:. Love that C-206 though 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

EDIT: finally found a photo of a C-130 at the angle I saw this from...and the drop tanks do look like another set of engines. Must have been it...025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

http://s3.amazonaws.com/estock/fspid3/55400/c130-aircraft-iraq-55463-l.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

The C-130 wing tanks are huge when you get up close to them. can't recall their capacity, but I have spent up to 11 hours in one non-stop...possibly with a couple of engines turned off or throttled back............................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The C-130 wing tanks are huge when you get up close to them. can't recall their capacity, but I have spent up to 11 hours in one non-stop...possibly with a couple of engines turned off or throttled back............................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

1300 gallons.Is their capacity i think:wave:

Funny thing though, when I was at Richmond on C130's they removed the external fuel tanks from a number of C130H aircraft as they found that the weight of the fuel (full tanks), and the drag, that the externals produced was just about the same as the amount of fuel they could carry. Once removed they flew slightly faster for the same distance needed. They also had better flying characteristics for the type of operations they were doing - low level ops/night low light ops etc etc.