New buddy

Hi all, I am a newie to here and this subject. Can someone plz kindly give me a brief idea of what expenses am I likely to face if I want to buy a kit plane with single prop. and twin to four seats?

ie.

How much are the registration

How much are the fuel

How much is my license

How much is the airport fee

Oh yes, can I disassemble the wings and trailor it back to my garage for storage after each use?

Many thx for your response:laugh:

Hi Diesel,

Welcome to the forums! A kit plane is one you build yourself from parts supplied by the manufacturer - we did a two seater, single engine, but it took 6 years. There are some "quick build" kits which are more like putting together a Mechano set which won't take as long. We have a single seat, home built plane that can be put in a trailer. It takes about an hour to re-rig the wings and controls, but we can drive to an airstrip, go for a fly, pack it up and go to the next place. There are more upmarket planes that can be out of the trailer and ready to fly in about 10 minutes.

Unfortunately there are many rules about which category these planes fit into and restrictions within these categories. Keep asking and there will be people on this forum who have the answers.

Welcome! Sue

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Diesel

If you go to the Recreational Aviation Australia web site, (RAA) they have a section with links to manufacturers and suppliers of kit and ready built recreational aircraft. These are usually much cheaper to own and maintain than GA aircraft.

Re hangerage costs, it varies from place to place and you would want to enquire at the aerodrome that you would intend to keep your new toy ....

And welcome to the forum!

Regards

RD

Hi again Diesel,

Here's a picture of our trailer for the single seat plane. The trailer & plane are fairly light and we unhitch it and push it in the back yard. Beats paying for a hangar and you can work on it at your leisure. When we are away we toss the plane out at the airstrip and camp in it. There are removable brackets that hold the wings in place on each side and the wheels have a removable ramp and tracks and are then clamped into place for travel. This plane is light enough to be moved by one person, but the wings are a bit awkward for one. There are planes that have fold out wings which one person can easily set up. Having it in a trailer means you pay trailer registration (about $127 in Qld), a little more fuel to get to the airstrip and that's it.

The downside is that you can't get your plane from the land side to the air side at secure airports (any airport that gets regular airline flights) so you are restricted to country or secondary airstrips unless you can get permission from security.

Sue

291385188_Honeymoonshack.jpg.49ea492a7add98b4ba3ee44cb5a63782.jpg

790070588_Insidetrailer.jpg.902dd306e9263dc6b2becf83c182c003.jpg

Hi all, I am a newie to here and this subject. Can someone plz kindly give me a brief idea of what expenses am I likely to face if I want to buy a kit plane with single prop. and twin to four seats?ie.

How much are the registration

How much are the fuel

How much is my license

How much is the airport fee

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

(very) rough figures:

registration $200 p/ year

fuel $1.50 litre (premium unleaded) expect to use 15 - 25Litres per hour

license $200 p/a

airport fee: a. hangerage $100 plus per month, if it can be found

b. usage of airfield $200 plus per year

(very) rough figures

ttfn wg

Guest rocketdriver
011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif(very) rough figures:

registration $200 p/ year

fuel $1.50 litre (premium unleaded) expect to use 15 - 25Litres per hour

license $200 p/a

airport fee: a. hangerage $100 plus per month, if it can be found

b. usage of airfield $200 plus per year

(very) rough figures

ttfn wg

Boy, you guys get yr hangers cheap .... down here I'm being quoted between $40 pw (small RA)to 80 pw (GA) ....

RD

Hi Diesel, no one has addressed your 2nd question, 'twin to 4 seats'. For this you will need your PPL and a twin engine endorsement. All very, very expensive., and as for trailing, no way, too wide even with outer wings removed.