Sonex plans arrived today

Guest dad

Our sonex plans came in the post today.

Phew, this will take a month or so to go through to study them, they are very comprehensive.

Looks like I'm busy for a couple of years.

Peter

• 4 months later...

Well,

You are probably in front of me, a few things have slowed me up but I'm starting to get on top of them now.

Where are you located?

Peter

Thanks Dazza,

It will be a slow progress to completion but I'm here for the long run.

I'm all tooled up just have to get other life complications out of the way.( I hate mowing grass, wish I could concrete it and paint it green)

Peter

I've obtained the hardware lists for the Sonex. The first thing I noticed was that the designers have used the old AN part numbers for many items, and this requires a fair bit of cross referencing as many old AN numbers have been superceded by MS or NAS numbers.

It seems that the designers like to deal with Wicks Aircraft Supplies, as there are many references to Wicks part numbers.

The way to save money on on purchasing hardware for this airplane is to make up an order for all the odd things, not the nuts, bolts, pins, rivets and washers. Buy these things in one hit, and have it all sent in one box. You must specify to the supplier that you will only accept the goods if they are sent in US PS flat rate boxes. You can get 20lbs of stuff in a flat rate box for $US36 postage. You've got to watch the Yanks because they don't consider the shipping costs. They'll send you a big box of fresh air and one small part. You'll pay through the nose that way. Don't use UPS or Fed-Ex if you want to keep shipping costs down.

Old Man Emu

Don't rush out and buy rivets or nuts. You have a good couple of hundred hours of making bits from your flat sheet and plate. The angle components alone will take you a while. If you can get a supply of 6061 locally than you can keep your investment down and buy as you build.

You will no doubt have to order some large bits from sonex. They are happy to put all the hardware in with that box if you get it shipped from wicks to them. They are a good source of rivets. I'd go flush rivets if I was building again. I have them on the leading edge and they are really nice.

Don't read the entire plans as you will end up light headed and vomit! Just work through page by page.

Been having a few hassles at work lately so I've taken on a course of study and that has slowed me down.

Got most of the tools, Guillotine and panbrake etc, and alloy to start with but will wait til new year and put in a concerted effort then.

Peter