Rotax 914 computer connection

bones

Has anyone had any success connecting to the onboard computer of the 914, via a converter cable to usb, as it is near impossible to get a laptop wit a 9 pin serial port these days?

Not even the one from Floods wants to work for me. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Back in the dark ages - I had problems with serial pin cables yonks ago - look closely because some of them shipped with only 7 wires - you have to unscrew the cap to see how many there are. This is back in the days when they made things, not just mass produced them. Anyway I bought a new cable to run from my old clunker to my dot matrix printer and it wouldn't work, but my old cable would. Finally found that to be the problem and we went through the shop unscrewing till I found one with the full complement.

Good luck = Sue (did the IT degree in the 80's pre-internet, pre-Windows, pre-java, when the flat file database was king and Dbase II was considered high-tech.) :pc strikes back:

Sue,

THanks, but after another day on the phone with lots of people(computing types that knew more than i- not hard i know) i have decided to just buy a new lap top with a serial port, one computer shop i spoke to the owner and he refuses to sell the cables any more cause they just dont work.....

SEQld Rotax rep cannot get my 914 to play on his "box" as at this time.

Heon,

Does your 914 need the dongle from rotax or is it just the normal 9 pin serial plug like mine.

buying a computer to work this does sort of seem a bit over the top, but need a new one anyway for my son to do school of the air on any way so 2 birds with the one stone, or yeah i need a tax deduction too 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif as if.

Bones what operating system are you using? A lot of usb-serial converters have issues with windows 7 and vista due to the idiotic microsoft signed driver enforcement crapola.

If your using one of those systems try pressing f8 repeatedly before windows starts and you'll get a text menu with a bunch of options. Select "disable signed driver enforcement" and see how that goes. It'll only last until your next reboot though... (do it again if necessary).

Arrrr the piece of mind to know i can take a lap top out and fiddle with the settings, the new puter works a treat.

Sain, yep using vista on the other lap top that doesnt work, but i feel it is more the cord because it wont work on the old tower either, i will try it though let you know what i find.