LED landing light

Does anyone know if there is an Led lighting system , that I can use to replace an existing 100W landing light unit . Just figured that it would draw less current and from a safety point of view , I could leave it on longer. Thanks, Pete .

Just ordered some

I've just ordered a pair of "AeroLeds" from the Australian agent. They are expensive, but if you way up the pro's and con's I believe they are worth it.

http://aeroleds.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Vpoy5qlSnM4%3d&tabid=2162

If you are interested I can give you the Ausie agent's details.

LED lights

Good morning all,

On my Skyranger I use a pair of 5W MR16 led lights, mounted in small aluminium driving light housings I got from Repco.

Pricing: MR16 globe. Approx $30 from the Alternative Technology Association. www.ata.org.au

Housings from Repco, was some time ago, but I think under $50.00 for a pair.

The housings originally had 50W Halogen globes as you would find in a domestic down light.

There are 10W MR16 globes available (equivalent light output to a 50W halogen) from www.ledcentral.com.au

You can get different light spreads (concentrated or wide angle) and different colour temperatures.

Hope this helps.

If you need more info pm me.

Cheers,

Ding.

• 1 year later...

Pricing: MR16 globe. Approx $30 from the Alternative Technology Association. T5 LED Tube supplier

Housings from Repco, was some time ago,flexible led strips but I think under $50.00 for a pair.

The housings originally had 50W Halogen globes as you would find in a domestic down light.

There are 10W MR16 globes available (equivalent light output to a 50W halogen) from 12v led lights

You can get different light spreads (concentrated or wide angle) and different colour temperatures.

Hope this helps.

We got our strobes from the company that does the emergency services & the road patrol lights. Where are you situated Pete?

G'day Pete,

I imported a pair of LED landing lights for a C172 from Skygeek in the States. We had problems with the original landing lights in that we couldn't get through a 100 hours without blowing 1 or both. Have not had a problem since going to LED's, which is around 300 hours. They are at least as bright as their halogen equivalents and slotted straight into the original Cessna mounts without any hassle. They come in two forms:- landing light which is a pencil beam and taxi light which difused. The LEDs are far more distinctive in the air from a safety perspective and can have a flasher attached, but if I had to make a criticism, and it is only a slight one, they are a little harsher on the eyes at night. Other pilots and airport users have criticised them, because the landing light in particular is blinding to oncoming traffic at night; - something we have to be mindful of. They're guaranteed for 5000 hours, so they should outlast the aircraft. While these LED's are fairly new technology to the aviation industry they are certified and can be self installed. We also looked at going to LED position and anti-collision lights, but there was no cost benefit.

• 1 month later...

The LEDs are far more distinctive in the air from a safety perspective and can have a flasher attached, but if I had to make a criticism, and it is only a slight one, they are a little harsher on the eyes at night.

---------------------