Aircraft expenses...

Well here is a question out there to all you aircraft owners!

I am keen to order a Jabiru J430 Kit and would like to know what associated costs there are involved in owning an aircraft. Assuming I do all my own maintenance, what other costs are involved?

Registration?

CASA Inspections? (once kit is complete)

Anything else?

Please if you can help me out, I'd like more of a realistic figure on what 'my' aircraft will cost me? (A local builder has told me it costs him $200 per week just to own his aircraft - and that is not even flying it!!!)

Many thanks in advance,

Jayden

Topic has been done to death before but three major costs are;

1.Loss of income from money spent on aircraft

2.Insurance...around 2.5% of sum insured

3.Hangarage

Remainder of major costs depend on usage

Nev, Yes J430 has to be VH registered.

HEON, Loss of income due to time spent building...luckily I've got a VERY understanding Woman!! I've been quoted approx 1.5% of hull value + CSL + Stamp Duty etc etc. All up approx $2500 to insure the aircraft for PARTS ONLY.

...you'd need to allow for an engine overhaul/replacement of $20 per hour...

Would this cover general maintenance / servicing costs also? Naturally I'd be doing my own servicing.

I guess what I'm really interested in is finding out are there annual rego costs associated with VH aircraft?

What other hidden costs are there?

In the mean time I'll search elsewhere too.

Thanks fella's

Jayden

...don't want to sound picky but, if $2,500 is 1.5% then it is 1.5% of $167k. Sounds like a lot of parts!

Okay...this is my understanding... (bear in mind I'm fairly fresh...!)

Premium based on;

1.5% based on a $70,000 Hull value = $1050

CSL (combined Single Limit) $2m cover = $ 700

GST = $ 175

11% Stamp duty (SA) = $ 211.75

Total = $2136.75

Long story short...I was looking into a $70,000 Cessna (old and many hours), but knew it was going to cost me A LOT more in the long run. I have always wanted to build a kit plane and liked Jabiru's. Insurance bloke I was talking to said as a builder I could insure against parts only (as I could do any repairs) but it would probably be around the $2500 mark.

Regarding VH and LAME's.... I'm still researching this but believe as a builder I can do all servicing (excluding overhauls) as it is classed as 'experimental'. I think SAAA and CASA have something going on regarding SAAA running 'maintenance courses' or something of the sorts. (please don't quote me on this though!) There's heaps more info but how much do you say?

Jayden

jayden,if its VH- reg (and your not a current LAME)...you wont be doing any servicing other than kicking the tyres and topping up the oil......

Hmmmm......maybe i'd better rethink my position (and do much factual research!!)

VH- Experimental should allow you to work on it. Well if you build it, wouldn't that be classed as working on it?

I know a fella that builds RV's and the like, all VH rego, and he works on them, well he built the thing in the first place.

VH- Experimental should allow you to work on it. Well if you build it, wouldn't that be classed as working on it?I know a fella that builds RV's and the like, all VH rego, and he works on them, well he built the thing in the first place.

Hi Tomo,

I believe you're right (god damn I hope you're right!). I'll be looking right though the reg's tonight.

I believe the only time you can't service/maintain a VH Experimental is when you buy someone else's completed kit.

Watch this space...:big_grin:

Jayden

Hi Jaden.

If you build the kit yourself under the experimental category you will have a maintenance authority for that aircraft. SAAA are conducting Maintenance regulatory courses and I believe you will need to complete one of these. You will first have to join SAAA and purchase a building kit which contains all the information you will need to complete the project, I believe it also includes the inspection fee for the CASA approved AP (authorised person) to issue a certificate of airworthiness. I am not sure what costs are involved as it has all changed since I built my aircraft 4 yeats ago. Try the SAAA web site (not easy to navigate) or call one of the SAAA tech advisors. You will find them very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Need to tidy up what I said were major NON maintence costs;

1.If you spend $70,000 on a kit (I think it would be more when finished!) that is money that is not earning money. As you can get at least 5% in a Bank, thats $3,500 a year...you should be able to get more safely rearly,

2. Insurance I said at 2.5%. This will change with pilots expearance. Ground cover only around 1.25%. That is of the amount insured.

3. Hangerage...from around $30 weekly to a lot more depending on location

Now lf you want to fly it, the good news is the more you do, the less per hour...but the more in total! I have tried to work it out but the unexpected always seems to upset the figures, thus I take the view it is cheaper than catching any of the women I may think about...and my wife agrees!

Hi Jaden.If you build the kit yourself under the experimental category you will have a maintenance authority for that aircraft. ........................ . Try the SAAA web site (not easy to navigate) or call one of the SAAA tech advisors. You will find them very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Thanks Greg, was only looking at the SAAA website...$180 annual membership (another annual expense!)

Cheers, jayden

HEON, There are sure a lot of variables associated with all of this. The J430 kit is $70,000 basic, realistically I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out closer to $100,000 as I would like to set up for NVFR.

money, money, money!!!!!!!

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Jwatts,

$100'000 does sound more realistic for all the extra instruments fir NVFR. The thing you forgot to mention is a safety shute. There would be no way I would be in a Jab at night ! The donk stops enough for a number of reasons as it is - impeccable maintanance will help - .

Also the 1000hour top end overhaul whilst possible is on the optimistic side going by the history of the engine. Great plane though ! Since it would be in the experimental class it might be better to consider fitting a new continental or Rotax 914 for peace of mind.

I hope I haven't stood on anyone's toes on this one.

fly safe

Walter

Hi Jwatts,$100'000 does sound more realistic for all the extra instruments fir NVFR. The thing you forgot to mention is a safety shute. There would be no way I would be in a Jab at night ! The donk stops enough for a number of reasons as it is - impeccable maintanance will help ......

I hope I haven't stood on anyone's toes on this one.

fly safe

Walter

Nice to hear from your Walter and thanks for your input.

Haven't stood on my toes! Doing an emergency landing at night would be a bit challenging!! haha:laugh:

Gotta to admit the Jab engines are getting better all the time and....have faith!

Jayden