Rotax 582 99 coolant issues around water pump

sandman

I have a rotax 582 with about 30 hours and have noticed a coolant leak starting between the crankcase halves near the water pump, I am hoping it is just the gasket as I have put some loctite 515 around the leak but not yet started it to see if it has. I got on to Wal at Rotax and he suggested the loctite 515. I hope one of the water pump seals haven't let go.

Bit of an update if anyone is interested or can help, talking to Garry at Bert Floods and he suggested I scrape the loctite 515 out between the case halves carefully and start the engine and if it leaks it is quite possible it is the seal, so off I went scraping the loctite out thinking its going to leak again. When I started and warmed up to 150F then shut down had a look at the water pump area around the case halves and bugger me dead NO LEAKS, what the ... I was quite surprised. I jst hope that some loctite is still between the case halves and is blocking any coolant from escaping because like Garry said to take it out (loctite 515) because if you seal the halves the coolant will build up between the two seals and will eventuall y blow the other seal thereby letting coolant enter the rotary valve oil system. Is it possible that this seal may have fixed itself some how as this leak started about the 20 hour mark from brand new and now has 30 hours, I guess I am trying to be optomistic because I don't want to go through the hassle of changing out the rotary seal etc, even though it is still under warranty.

I'd be talking to the agent about your concerns and getting it recorded in writing. If it lets go just out of warranty things should look better when you front up for repairs.

regards

Water contamination of oil.

Keep an eye on the condition of the oil in the little bottle. If it gets cloudy at all the water is getting past the seal. Otherwise I would not worry too much but do keep an eye on it. You can remove the plastic bottle empty it, clean it, and replace the oil. Nev

I will be keeping an eye on the RV Tank for discolouration and if it appears making quantity but can it be possible for the ceramic seal to all of a sudden stop leaking and working as it is suppose to rather than fill between the two seals.

Seals.

Water pump seals of that type can leak and then not leak. Sometimes they will make noise and a different coolant will stop that. (You won't hear that with a 582 of course). I don't think they are particularly troublesome, unless there was core sand or some contaminant in the system. Nev

• 3 years later...

Hey Jacko, I ahve done nearly 200 hours now and haven't had a weap since, Wal or Garry, can't remember now said perhaps that seal took a little longer to seal up.

Thanks sandman, I haven't put any 515 sealant in between the two halfs. Do I have to scrape anything out like you did? Or did you do that because you put the 515 in there? Thanks.

The water pump does not open into the crankcase. So the sealing between 2 crankcase halves will not result in a water leak. The water pump will allow water into the labyrinth seal between the two case chambers. As Nev says this will show up as water contamination of the oil in the small reservoir. The problem with sealing the water pump was all but eliminated when the 99 came out with ceramic seals. Therefore the most likely place for a leak is on the gasket sealing the coolant manifold to the case. Don