Ok help needed. Which one?

Although possibily "dorky", I want a spreadsheet which can EDIT sheets on the phone.

(Don't ask)

There are two I can find.

Office doc editing now available on Android | andrew | Androinica

and

Quickoffice » Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for Android

Both not too expensive, but WHICH?

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I already have a PDF viewer which works and can search, etc. Handles big-ish PDF files - like the manual of the phone.

Any of you people have any experiance?

Guest davidh10

FD;

You could also look at Datavis DocumentsToGo. I've used it on my Palm and it worked quite well for something trying to use a very small screen to edit a spreadsheet. I'm sure I've seen it in the Android Market. Haven't tried it on Android yet.

On the Palm, it synchronized documents onto a PC so you could update the document in both locations. It is obviously easier to edit a spreadsheet on a PC and then make minor changes or additions on a pocket device.

This is my first post from my new HTC Desire.:big_grin:

Ah, Datavis DocumentsToGo is another one.

Although I have only mentioned two and this is the third, I am not really doing a good job of tracking them and as they have similar icons, I got/get them confused.

Looking into it now.

yeah, the version is a restricted one. The FULL version allows editing.

So there are three sets of programs. There will be (typically) subtle differences and I was wondering if anyone has used them and their thoughts.

Guest davidh10
yeah, the version is a restricted one. The FULL version allows editing.So there are three sets of programs. There will be (typically) subtle differences and I was wondering if anyone has used them and their thoughts.

I have the full licensed version (DocumentsToGo) on my Palm and laptop. It has a PC application that goes with it to map the documents on your PC to be synchronised. I can confirm that it works quite well but I seldom use it because I just don't find a 100mm screen to be a useful way of editing a spreadsheet. It does Word documents too, but I prefer just plain text on a pocket device.

The issue with small screen devices is not so bad if you just want to put some figures into a sheet and read the answer(s) and you have constructed the sheet in a format that suits the small window you will be able to view.

Sorry, but I haven't even thought about whether I'll buy the Android version yet or not. The different data entry method in Android may also affect how usefulness of the application.

I've read a couple of reviews of another application that I use on both PC / Palm. the reviews are scathing about the implementation on Android, despite the reviewers being happy with the application on Palm for years. The moral is that only experience on a similar device and the same operating system count as valid.

There are well known issues related to application development and maintenance on the Android O/S due to the widely different screen sizes / shapes / resolutions of equipment on with Android runs. Also, as some telcos do not upgrade the O/S over time, apps may have to support every version of the O/S from the time it first deploys. This retards the ability of the application to utilise new features in later versions of the O/S. {just a bit of background}.

Well, one of them has a "free trial" version which can edit sheets.

I may try that and see what happens.

If I like it, I may stay with that one.

This later one has a 30 day money back guarantee - but I don't know if they would honour it. I guess I can only try - if it gets to that.

I am not wanting to do whole sheets, just simple things from time to time. The PC backup would be handy, but not imperative as I have to switch the phone to "disc drive" when plugged in anyway so I could do the sync'ing myself.

Oh the fun of all these modern toys.

Guest davidh10
Ok, quick question:Dataviz offer a free trial version.

It wants my phone's e-mail address.

Errrr, stupid question: How do I find out/set it?

The phone does not have an email address, however you do. In fact you likely have more than one... Through your ISP, through Recreational Flying and it is extremely likely that you used or setup a Gmail account when setting up the phone.

You can also configure the phone to access all these email accounts. See the full manual at HTC web site.

I suspect they just want registration or to send you a key.