The Red Rocket (Savage Cruiser)

Hey Guys I have a new love in my life at the moment and feel the need to share after soaring around in the Savage Cruiser at Boonah (the "CUB" or "Red Rocket" as wel call it at Airsport)

I just can't get enough.

It's just me, the sky and the aeroplane and I am still on CLOUD NINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Like every single aviation enthusiast and tailwheel fanatic who has given it a go (and some given up) It took a while to master, it is one of those machines that lull's you into a false sense of security and then hits you with a surprise, like a perfect landing turning into a 3 foot bounce then a bee-line for the fence posts. Stalls can be exciting as this bird wants to snap into a spin like a top, but it makes you feel so ALIVE and forces you to be positive with all control inputs - NO pussy footing around, FLY the machine and you will be rewarded, you can side slip down with flap and pull her up into someone's backyard if you have to. As soon as I have given her full power I am off the ground and climbing straight up.

Anyway sorry about the rant but I have been SO addicted to flying the RED ROCKET lately and I am immensley impressed - BUT - it will not tolerate complacency or timidness on the controls, you've got to tell this machine who is boss and she will respond!

I didn't think it was possible but my PASSION for aviation has been revitalised by by such a FUN MACHINE!!!!

P.S - As most who fly it say, it is like flying a Big, High performance Drifter, and we all know THEY are the ultimate fun machine.

(Stay tuned for videos)

David Mason

cruiser.jpg.18f7c7f8657f68b8a7494b6859b4d4d8.jpg

You been out having fun today too! :big_grin::big_grin:

Couldn't help it, I had to go driftering this morning, managed a landing backwards, and most of the others were stationary landings.

In other words, it was windy!!

Wish I had the video with me, it was so much fun just to get out there again, did a few stalls, then played around with ground speeds. Slow up to just under the stall and you go backwards. Find a tree or spot on the ground and practice climbing descending on top of it.

I couldn't help smiling to myself, actually laughed when I waited for another aircraft to land, I just sat there above the aerodrome, going nowhere.

The guys at work today must be sick of me talking... I'm still enjoying the hr I had this morning even now just thinking of it.

David I think we both had a magic day today. :big_grin: :thumb_up:

You don't often turn final above the piano keys, and still land on them.

Yea, the Zlin Savage "Cub" is almost identical to the Super Cub, the Cruiser has different lines but - High wing, single engine, tandem seating, tailwheel, - goes like a rocket

My sentiments too David- working on buying one at the moment, I did what you did today- last Sunday-there should be a law against working week posts teasing us all like yours:big_grin:! it was very sedate flying back to Caboolture in my Jab afterwards, almost sterile- aircraft like the cub bring us all back to why we really fly, for the pure fun and challenge- she reminds me of a tasty red head, wrapping herself around you but ready to slap you if you get too frisky,or don't pay her enough attention; a drifter on roids- definately, one I'm happy to drift away in.....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I had a re-currency check ride In the Red Rocket with Pete Stanton this morning.Simulated Engine failures in the circuit.Up-wind, down -wind.etc.I had a ball, loved every minute of it.Then solo circuits."Living the Dream".Ps- Although i nearly froze to death on my Motor Bike LOL.

There is a great Satisfaction flying T/W a/c.I recommend it to everybody.Cheers

Viva La Tailwheel. (Should be part of the basic syllabus if you ask me)

Speaking of freezing - myself and a bunch of Drifters are going on a mock WW1 dawn patrol tomorrow morning......thank god for freezer suits!

Goodight

Viva La Tailwheel. (Should be part of the basic syllabus if you ask me)Speaking of freezing - myself and a bunch of Drifters are going on a mock WW1 dawn patrol tomorrow morning......thank god for freezer suits!

Goodight

I hope you have a great time David.:)