Gympie Poker Run

JG3

Gympie Poker Run is on this coming Sunday 29 Aug.

I want to go to support an eager and growing club, and mix with some different flyers.

Picking up cards at Gympie, Wondai, Eidsvold, Gayndah, and Biggenden.

Lunch at Biggenden Hotel.

Start early and finish by 1300.

For more info [email protected]

JG

Can't help but wonder why Gympie Aero Club appears to be forming a habit of trying to hold events that clash with other events reasonably nearby.

Earlier this year they held something on the same weekend as the Childers fly-in which I will admit was a new event but this poker run clashes with the Watts Bridge Festival of Flight which is a long established and popular event???

Just does not seem to be a receipe for success.

I was one of the few that did a similar poker run on the way to Monto for the RAAus fly-in in June, had a blast and would not mind doing it again but I have been planning the weekend at Watts Bridge since Watts Bridge last year........

Guest Walter Buschor

We've just been on the poker run and had a great time. Our passengers hopped from one plane to the next and got to sample different "mounts". We had a Decathlon, and 1947 Cessna 170 , a jab, technam , 172 , a Jodel , Sonex & 2 Savvy's . A great mix of planes and oodles of fun. The day did clash with "Watts Bridge" but I don't feel I missed out on not being there as out little group really did have a great time. It was quite funny to hear different comments in Eidsvold regarding the strip direction. The ERSA has it as 14/32 others commented that it should be 15/33 or 16/34 . Inbound calls were made accordingly and that added a bit of humor . It was a bit like" bla,bla turning final on 14- that should really be 16!" BIGGENDEN airfield is a great place and could nearly be missed as the strip is quite hard to spot despite it's 900 mtrs lengh. It is right next to town and it takes only 5-10 minutes to walk to the pup for the best value meal I've had in years. It's definately a place to go back to. It has a lovely and welcoming country feeling about it .

The return trip to Gympie had us go low to avoid thermals.I started out climbing to 3500ft but then hit a good one that nearly smaked my head on the roof. After that I went down to 1500ft and it got a lot smoother after that.

I hope there will be a repetition of this sort of thing as it does add an extra dimension to our activity as we're going from place to place in a loose group and in my opinion this beats a single destination and a return trip home.

Thanks to Blair and Tony for organizing this great day!:thumb_up:

fly safe

Walter