Thunder City

Spin

I tried to find the thread where we discussed the ZU BEX Lightning crash, anyhow I see it looks as though the Thunder City dream is coming to an end. From their discussion forum;

Supersonic Lightnings

by Mike Beachy Head » June 28th, 2010, 8:50 am

Thunder City is considering selling its fleet in whole or in part. Currently there are three English Electric Lightnings (1 two seat and 2 single seat), three Blackburn Buccaneers, four Hawker Hunters ( 3 two seat and 1 single seat) one BAC Strikemaster and three Aerospatiale PUMA helicopters. All include massive spares inventories and complete current docuemnation. All are in fully restored flying condition. Serious people only please - contact [email protected] - website is www.thundercity.com

I understand the Lightnings have effectively been grounded since the accident, as have the Bucs.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Oh what a shame. A bit of an over reaction by the powers that be in S.A. seeing as only one ejector seat failed. Hydraulic failures occur in all sorts of mechanised items so I doubt that was the main reason for grounding the whole fleet or part thereof. Sure it was a very sad loss of life but that's a risk we all take when we climb into a plane of any sort. It comes with our passion for flying. If the fleet is to be sold, I hope that they are all kept in flying condition, and in a country that will permit them to be flown. That, unfortunately, rules out them returning to their home country, the UK.

Gee, if only I had the money.

Hi guys, i doubt that someone will take over, operating the lightning in flying condition.The hunters, strikemaster might be different.The lightning is in a league of its own a complicated jet.I have never worked on one, but a few guys i worked with in British Aerospace did. It is similar to the F111, Very very maintenance intensive.If you where a millionair, you wouldnt be for much longer, if trying to operate a Lighting.There is guys in the UK, that have one.They only do ground engine runs, no flying.

What i have said, has nothing what so ever to do with the ejection seat failure. These Aircraft the "Lightning", when in service cost a absolute fortune to operate in the RAF.Trying to find parts for them now, must be extremely difficult i think.

Dazza, I agree in part with what you've said, the Lightning is a very high maintenance aircraft but that is the only similarity to the F111. The Lightning is unique in that it is the only jet aircraft ever to have it's engines stacked vertically and it was the only aircraft ever to be able to catch up with and pass the Concorde. As to whether there's a millionaire/billionaire out there to take these wonderful, awe inspiring aircraft into their next stage of life, we'll have to wait and see. As for spares, there's more out there than you expect, except perhaps, tires. I spent 13 of my 15 years in the RAF servicing Lightnings and would repeat that time if I could.

163151409_74Sqdn.jpg.332daddf862c7c3731005c0065431840.jpg

1034678277_19Sqdnflightline.jpg.745c9cebadf3e5e011fa3736504e8779.jpg

Same here Doug, if i could go repeat the time i spent on F111's i would also.But going from that to the tornado.The tornado, was alot more maintence friendly.When the cost of maintence became a issue, and different military's where looking at purchasing a new A/c.Modern fighters started to be designed and produced with maintence in mind. A F111 engine change would take around half a day.Engine out to new engine in.The FA 18 would take around half an hour, with their quick disconnect fittings.The lightning is a unique and wonderful A/c.