Engine Mount Replacement

jcruffle

I need to replace an engine mount in my J230 (so I will do them all). I'm told that the engine has to pretty much come off to do the job. Can any wise readers confirm this or is there an easier way eg one mount at a time?

John

engine mounts

My rubber mounts became distorted , mainly the upper ones. I used hose-clamps to put them back into shape. Now they may have lost some flexibility, but they have stayed in shape for years now. Before doing the clamp thing, I ordered some new rubbers which are still sitting around.

It may be possible to loosen all 4, then replace the upper 2 first, then the lower 2, but this is only a guess.

cheers, Bruce

Unfortunately you will have to lift the engine off the mounts. An engine lifter or chain block will do fine, make sure the engine balances fore and aft before removing. You only need to move the engine forward a couple of inches. Position the rubber mounts and move the engine back on to the engine mount. You now need an oversize bolt and nut to compress the rubber mounts. Now clamp up the rubber (the best clamp is the small sliding type used for woodworking) Remove the oversize bolt and install the normal mounting bolt. The socket that you use on the rear side (bolt head) will need a nut glued in so that you can push and keep the bolt fully home. You will find getting the lower port nut on the 3300 a pain!

I did do mine without full removal, one at a time, tilting engine.........take the engine out would be easier, safer and most likely quicker.

Dont forget to prop under tail of AC as it will fall backwards once the engine is unbolted