The Samsung Galaxy...an ipad...a phone

Admin

Note that the Avmap EKP IV has a 7" screen and the number of aviation apps is increasing...with this being Android however don't know but willing to bet it will have a GPS in it as well:

The multi-purpose tablet with a super bright 7-inch touch screen.

Coming to your local mobile dealer from November is the Samsung GALAXY tab. The Samsung GALAXY tab combines PC-like web browsing, email, full multimedia capability (including Flash), social networking, and the versatility of thousands of downloadable apps. In addition, it's also a mobile phone giving you voice and video calls and SMS/MMS functions. Built on the same software platform as the GALAXY S smart phone, the GALAXY tab represents a new option in mobility 1.

See More »

Register your interest here »

Only has A-GPS (using phone towers)

Was going to get one (planning on developing a flight planning app), but A-GPS is too coarse for what I want.

(Unless they have added a full GPS in the last few weeks...... but last look it didn't have one)

Please correct me if I am wrong but A-GPS uses the cell phone towers to speed up the GPS positioning and then starts using the satellites.

If this is the case couldn't you still use it in the air?

If so then Garmin, Avmap etc could have a very serious contender especially with the price, has a phone, web browsing etc and if jeppeson releases maps for Android...

Well, the other Galaxy products show that they have GPS AND A-GPS facilities, yet the tablet only shows A-GPS on the spec sheets I've seen.

I've made the (possibly incorrect) assumption that that is all they are using for geolocation features, there are a lot of mobile devices out there that do that (use the phone towers only for positioning)

If it does have a proper GPS in it I'll be certainly considering it myself!

Someone needs to crank out a sewing machine and make a holder for using this as a kneeboard!

The only scary thing is the word on the net is these things are going to be $999 at release time which is about $200 too much in my eyes! Might have to hold off for a bit!