Visual Flight Guide - online only

Bidgee

CASA in its wisdom has decided not to provide printed copies of the VFG anymore. Some BS about it being easily updatable. The VFG is a great publication but its not very useful stuck on the computer.

If you have five minutes visit he CASA page and send them some feedback so we cn get it back into publication - Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Visual flight guide

Guest burbles1

The online-only version is quite usable; I prefer to download and selectively print pages. CASA's argument is valid that digital copies are more easily updated - it's not BS. I can't see a need for a print version - anyone can do that at home.

Sure online copies are more easily updatable but that's pointless if nobody actually uses the document. If 98% of the content stays the same arent we better having hard copy and printing off the changes?

Selectively printing pages is OK until you're away from home and need to info. I also doubt whether everybody is as keen to print the doc at home as you are. I got offered double what I paid for my out of date VFG recently.

Why not have the option?

Guest davidh10

I've got the PDF on my phone (HTC Desire) and find that it is quite usable in that form.

Actually the PDF isn't set up well for printing unless you want to source (or pre-guillotine some A4) A5 paper for your printer.

Even the print version was bulky, so it wasn't with me all the time. Now I have it with me always.:big_grin:

I also carry my aircraft manuals and the RA-Aus Ops manual and selected parts of ERSA in the same manner, although I still print relevant pages for flight plans.

added to iPad

I added the PDF to my iPad and makes it so easy to read. Actually I added all the Visual Flight Guides, the POH for my aircraft and anything else I could find useful. It's all in one place to take anywhere.

Guest burbles1
arent we better having hard copy and printing off the changes?

That could be possible if the Guide is published as a looseleaf rather than as a bound copy (i.e. much like the RA-Aus Ops Manual). Then CASA could change just a few pages and release them in print - the idea being that users have their own ring binders and can replace pages with new material. I work at a publishers where updates to legal publications are handled this way.

Guest davidh10
From a seminar I was told it was online only because some changes may happen and they wanted the changes to be done before printing. It sounded as though there are plans to print it at some stage.

Now that you mention it, that rings a bell.