Orchard Beach, Fraser Island

mornet

I recently decided to fly to Orchard beach, Fraser Island but found it really difficult to get up to date info. I went anyway RYP a C172. What a fantastic destination. The strip is in good condition, +/- 700x30m. Orientation 14/32. Beautifull scenery with a nice little shop for something to eat or drink. You don't have to phone and they charge $20 landing fee.

$20 is a bit steep . . . make that a lot steep!

I'll gladly pay $20 for access to somewhere like that, they're hardly getting rich out of the few arrivals weekly considering grass cutting, insurance cover etc. Aircraft arrivals are hardly their core market, Orchid Beach is a 4x4, fishing destination on Fraser Island for those not familiar with the territory.

Back to the original point though, that one is very much on the bucket list - as a bonus it isn't a million miles from Rainbow Beach and DI Point as shown in cscotthendry's recently posted video.

How did you find the strip surface there John? I was thinking of heading over for a few days but wasn't sure about the smaller wheels on my jab with the sand etc.

The $20 landing fee is fantastic given that to take you vehicle over you're looking at $60 for a vehicle permit (Nat Parks) & around $100 barge fee, plus around $10 per person.

I was broken down there for a few days about ten years ago and had to replace the gear box in our land cruiser from a wreck out the back of the service station, but I remember reading at the time how much it costs to maintain the strip and how vehicles used by the shop only last about 3 years or 20,000 k's due sand and salt.